Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Best engine and options for new 2018 XC60?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 04:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best engine and options for new 2018 XC60?

Hi everyone

Happy to join the forum, greetings to all.

We're looking to order the new XC60 and have a couple of questions, and would really appreciate any advice from the member community. We are after pure comfort for the whole family on short and long (10 hour) drives.

We test drove 2 cars:

1st) D5 with air suspension, lovely, a little jumpy for acceleration and breaking, but that could be me after driving my old car for so long
2nd) Then we got straight in to a D4, without air suspension (and a basic spec) and all the joy seemed to disappear...

Now I'm really not sure if this was in just our heads or is really accurate!

Engine

Is the D4 engine fine in this car? Is the T5 or D5 The One to go for? Could it be said that the D4 is only the choice if that's the maximum budget, or is it actually all that most of us need?

Suspension

Is air suspension really needed? Of course the more you spend you better you get, but is it worth it? How did you guys decide?

I don't want to be cheap and regret it, but I don't want to just tick every box and be paying the extra if it just doesn't really add much to the car. In trying to quantify this, does the non-air give 95% of the comfort? (if it's possible to measure in such a way)

Really looking for individual experiences, how did you choose?

The reviewers on youtube and online magazines have been great, but all say get the air, which is easy to say. And often even with best intentions a lot of the comparison against say the Audi Q5 talks about 0-60 times and sporty this and that, which is really not our interest...

Many thanks for any help you can give
Dan

​​​​