Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

US, European and Australian XC60 Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default US, European and Australian XC60 Tail Lights

Hi,

Does anyone know if the 2019 XC60 T5 Momentum's sold in the US, Europe and Australia all have exactly the same tail lights?

I live in Australia and the local price for a replacement tail light appears to be approximately twice that (even after taking shipping into account) of buying one in the US or Europe.

I'm concerned that some of the lamp colours on the US / European XC60 tail lights might differ from the Australian imports.

Does anyone know?

Thanks

Old 06-29-2019, 05:41 AM

The photo included here shows how the tail light lens colours are assigned here in Australia.

Does anyone know if the same colour allocations are used for US and European versions of the XC60?

Last edited by MostlyIgnorant; 06-29-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:29 AM

As luck would have it, I'm sitting in the dealership waiting on my car to be serviced... US cars have all red tail lamps as is shown in the left side of the picture above. there are no orange sections.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:51 PM

Thanks Teutonics. The Australia cars also have tail lights that are completely red in color. The car image included in my earlier post is an Australian car. As you can see, the left side tail light (i.e. the tail light I haven't marked up) is completely colored red.

It is only when the turn indicator is operating that you can see a flashing orange light.

Do the turn indicators on US models flash red or orange?

Thanks

Old 07-02-2019, 05:19 PM

Ugh... I didn't check the turn signals. I DID turn on the emergency flashers and it flashed red, but I don't know about turn signals. Sorry, I misunderstood the orange comment and just looked for an orange lens. I don't know if it flashes orange/yellow or not.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:30 AM

Ok. Just a quick note to close out this thread.

Tail lights ox XC60's sold in the US definitely differ from those sold in Australia.

All Australian sold XC60's have tail lights with orange coloured flashing turn indicators. It appears that US sold XC60's have tail lights with red coloured flashing turn indicators. Don't know if the red coloured indicators apply to all states in the US or if there are some exceptions.

From what I can see online, turn indicators throughout Europe consist of orange coloured flashing lights. Presumably all of the countries within the European Union are standardised on orange coloured flashing lights. As there are so many countries in Europe, it wouldn't surprise me if there were some that used red coloured flashing lights.

To avoid buying a replacement tail light with a different spec to the original, I eventually ended up buying the replacement via ebay from an Australian supplier.

Interestingly, the supplier needed to know my vehicle's VIN number in order to ensure they supplied the correct tail light. Apparently there are some tail light variants even within the relatively small number of Australian imports.

I installed the replacement tail light myself; which was a much bigger job than you would expect. I had to pull out all of the trunk's floor and wall lining (on the replacement tail light side) as well as remove the rear bumper in order to get to the two bolts and the one nut fixing the tail light in place. Also, one of these fixing bolts is extremely difficult to get out because of an obstruction in front of it and the fixing nut can only really be successfully removed/replaced using a magnetic socket.

I couldn't find any online or useful youtube instructions for replacing the tail light. It looks like the current model is still too new to be able to get this sort of information. Fortunately I found some info on installing some of Volvo's factory accessories which helped enormously with working out how to remove the interior trim and bumper.

If I get a bit of time will post a new thread with instructions on how to remove/replace the existing tail light.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:09 AM

Great follow up, thanks for taking the time to document your findings.

Although my car is an older model, I too find it surprising at the lack of on-line resources for this vehicle. I'm a fairly advanced do-it-yourselfer, and can usually find youtube videos, service manual references, or forum posts (like yours above) for guidance when needed, but on the XC60.... <crickets>. I guess either there's not enough of this model out there, or the target buyer is not typically the mechanically-inclined type... or the vehicle just isn't serviceable by a non-dealer.

Whatever it is, it's to the point I'm considering trading it for something that's more easily repairable... or more reliable. :-/ My dealer visit mentioned above for a replacement key (a $300 key!) and the obligatory dealer "safety check" resulted in $4000 of "suggested repairs and maintenance".

Last edited by Teutonics; 07-09-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:12 AM

Completely agree Teutonics.

Car parts are soo expensive now. If I had bought my replacement tail light through a registered dealer it would have cost me AU$985 (about US$690). I would also have had to wait a couple of weeks because Volvo Australia carries very few spare parts and the light would have had to be brought in from Sweden.

My previous car was a 2009 XC60. It was written off due to a relatively minor accident. There wasn't much damage but the high cost of the various replacement parts meant it wasn't worthwhile for the insurer to repair it. The electric tailgate alone (which only had a relatively minor gouge in it and was fully functional) had a replacement cost of well over AU$4k. Minor damage to tailgates isn't repairable these days because most of them are now made from fibreglass.

Alas, it isn't just Volvo's that have expensive replacement parts. Unfortunately here in Australia it seems to be a universal problem amongst all the car brands. Presumably the business model is to keep the retail cost of new cars down (so they are more competitive against other marques) by cross subsidising with higher replacement parts costs.

I really miss the days when you could buy a decent aftermarket service manual for your car. Working on your own car was interesting, a learning experience, satisfying and fun. Not only did it save you money, it gave you the skills to do roadside repairs (to allow you to limp back home), an understanding of what all those unexpected strange noises really mean and a knowledge of your car's mechanical weaknesses (so you could keep remedies/parts and the appropriate tools to deal with them in the boot). My son and daughter are completely devoid of these skills.