Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

Volvo XC60 PHEV - no sound in pure electric mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2024, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo XC60 PHEV - no sound in pure electric mode

I have had my 2024 Volvo XC60 plug in hybrid for 6 months and love it. I drive almost exclusively in pure electric. My issue is this - it is mandatory in Canada that hybrid and electric vehicles make a sound or hum when driving at low speeds, but my vehicle is silent when driving in pure electric mode (though it beeps when I back up so I assume I do have the module that is supposed to make the sound).

The service department at the dealership said it's not supposed to make sound but (1) it's mandatory and (2) it's in their online manual that it is and (3) Volvo Customer care confirmed it was supposed to make the sound.

It has been almost 3 months since I first reported this to the dealership and to Volvo Canada and I'm told "we are working on it" but in the meantime, 3 separate people have stepped out into the road in front of my car without looking because they didn't hear my car coming. Thankfully I was able to stop each time but this is a major safety issue, that's why it became mandated by Transport Canada.

I've now reported it to Transport Canada through the online portal but I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this issue.