Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.

xc60 issues; doors, tailgate, coolant, and cargo mat carpet

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xc60 issues; doors, tailgate, coolant, and cargo mat carpet

We have a bunch of issues regarding with our 2012 XC60 ranging from annoying to disturbing, and most developed over the last few months. Not sure if the dealer is just telling us stories about some of the issues. Other issues are current and being investigated as I write this:

Issue #1: Doors are difficult to automatically open and close. Must stand really close car to have any chance of it working as expected. This worked perfectly for the longest time. We could just get in and out without thinking about how close we are to the handles etc. In September some replacement parts finally arrived after ~ 6 weeks of waiting. Since then it's a bit better but still not as good as it was. The dealer also updated some software leading to issue #2 with the tail gate. Should we be demanding to the dealer that this issue be looked at further?

Issue #2: Tailgate intermittently fails to shut. Since the software update then the tailgate often refuses to shut and we have to manually shut it. We have looked for obstructions but nothing can be seen. Dealer currently investigating.

Issue #3: From new we bought the expensive, folding rubber mat for the cargo area. Lovely mat BUT some sharper corners on the mat have rubbed against the built in cargo area carpet causing bald spots in the carpet! Dealer says he does not believe us and accuses us of spilling acid -- of all things -- on the carpet in exactly those spots where the sharper cargo mat corners are!!! The bald spots are about 1 to 2 cm in diameter... which is the 'play' that cargo mat has to move around. How should we continue with the stubborn dealer?

Issue #4: Passenger door flies open! On Saturday it was icey and my wife drove about 20 KM to work where she parks in an underground car park. In the car park she turned 90 degrees quickly going around a corner and the passenger door just flew open!!! Luckily it did not hit anybody or anything but it was extremely shocking for her. On the whole journey to work then there was no light on the dash or noise to indicate that the door was open etc. A complete mystery and the dealer is currently investigating.

Issue #5: Coolant levels too low to use engine! On Sunday we tried to start the car in -5 freezing temperatures. The car started instantly but on the dash a large message read that coolant levels are too low and the engine should be switched off immediately. This was puzzling to us because only a few months ago the car had its service and all levels were checked and topped up. We called Volvo road side assistance and they arranged for a truck to turn up and take the car to the dealer since itself advises us not at start it. The dealer called this morning and said that the coolant detector on the XC60 is known to be extremely "finiky" and this warning can come on if only a few ounces of coolant are missing. Is this true what the dealer is saying? And is it usual to lose a few ounces of coolant in just a few months?

Issue #6: Driver door has mind of its own. When the truck turned up yesterday to take the car away, I had to hop into the car to change its direction for loading onto the truck. Everything when frosty but the drivers door opened right away. I hopped in, started the engine, moved the car. Then about 10 seconds later I tried to get out but the driver door refused to open. In the end I had to climb over the center console and exit via the passenger door! The truck driver loader the XC60 onto the back of his truck but also had to enter and exit the drivers seat via the passenger door. Once on the truck then we tried the drivers door one more time and it just opened as if nothing was wrong! This morning the dealer called and said he couldn't open the drivers door this morning, and is it frozen shut?! What should we make of this? Can a door freeze and unfreeze so quickly? Or -- in light of the passenger door swinging open incident and the reluctant to close tailgate -- is this software and/or hardware problems?

Looking forward to any comments and/or words of wisdom.

Thanks,

Simon

Old 12-01-2014, 01:43 PM

Update: Dealer called and had the following to say:

Both passenger and driver doors showed an error and the latches on both doors will be replaced. Apparently this will be fixed by EOD tomorrow.

Tailgate showed an error and the software has been updated to hopefully fix.

Coolant level looked good -- dealer said it was at 3/4 full -- but they have topped it up. Dealer said coolant should never be completely full but should be within some narrow bands and sensor is "finiky". Left me wondering whether this will happen again and again, or whether this is just excuses for not topping up the coolant at the last service...

Last edited by simonhf; 12-01-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-2014, 04:28 PM

Picked up a loaner car from the dealer after another customer returned it. Took the chance to talk to the general manage about the bald patches on the cargo carpet. He's going to personally have a look at it and get back to me. He did not say that they wouldn't fix it. But he already implanted the idea in my mind that it would be a difficult fix, therefore implying that they might not do it. Is this a valid excuse for the dealer? Not to repair it because it's too trick?