Volvo XC60 This smaller crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV with less size - ideal for city driving.
View Poll Results: battery problem/start problem
won't start
50.00%
vehicle had to be towed
50.00%
battery issues
100.00%
out of warranty
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

xc60 r design t-6 2015

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry xc60 r design t-6 2015

Hi, I am very dissatisfied with Volvo vehicles this suv has had 4 batteries in the small amount of time that we owned the vehicle and we are the original owners. The mileage is around 63,000 and it kept leaving my wife and kids stranded , no warning just will not crank, long and skinny on it towed vehicle to the dealer and after diagnostic the verdict was battery cable and starter get ready your grand total is $1254.00 and change. Great $55,000 dollar vehicle 3 years old warranty over and now you can spend some real money fixing it lol. Not to mention we don't have a starter because they never go out , so keep renting that suv for 67.00 a day and we will get you rolling again. Just a little over $2000.00 towing,parts ,labor car rental. Thanks Volvo you help me make up my mind whether or not I want to buy any more painted scrap metal. avoid this vehicle at all cost real owners know that the battery last about 1 year and that's it.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Many owners have experienced repeated battery drain warning messages or dead batteries. The Swedespeed XC60 forum has numerous common tales of these issues in our cars. Volvo does not acknowledge a problem exists and typically says “new” cars have lots of electronics that draw on the battery. Their response is very disappointing and unsatisfying. Changed my whole impression of Volvo.

2. Many owners have made repeated visits to their dealer for this problem. They hear various excuses and then receive a new battery under warranty. Four times seems common. Then when the car is out of warranty, just like you are discovering, they are stuck with the expense of battery replacent themselves. The dealer collects $200 each time, so has no incentive to correct the bigger problem.

3. There is a Volvo software update that some owners say has fixed their problem. Volvo dealers call it 2.0, but will not automatically give it to you. Even if you ask for it, they say you don’t get it unless they can diagnose a related problem. Therefore you have to complain about battery drain, pay for a diagnostic visit AND know that the software update exists in order to get it.

4. There is a separate parasitic battery drain issue related to the Sirius satellite radio or Volvo Sensus or Sensus Connected Touch. Whichever you have, the device draws power while the car is off. For Sirius, it happens even if you are not subscribed to the service. Once again, you have to know there is a software update and complain about the correct problem in order to get it.

5. There are service bulletins for both software updates, but dealers don’t have incentive to perform them. A number of owners complain two or three times before the dealer will do it. Again, some owners simply accept the problem with battery swaps under warranty. They don’t get angry until the warranty expires and they pay out of pocket.

6. Volvo batteries were once considered among the best and were made in Germany. The new batteries all come from the same manufacturer, but are now made in Mexico. The change appears to coincide with the timing of battery drain issues occuring in XC60s. About this time, they also changed the design of the batteries to “improve” performance if you want to believe that.

7. The usual response from Volvo is that you are somehow at fault for buying a car with so much technology and also responsible for the battery drain based on your usage. When they blame you, ask them how long you should be able to park your car in your garage or at the airport without coming back to a dead battery? This seems to spotlight the hypocrisy.