Volvo V50 A sports wagon that is affordable, sporty and best of all, useful for almost anything.

V50 Draining battery...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:25 PM
ras
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V50 Draining battery...

Hi
I have had this car for 4 years from new and it has electrical problems on and off. The original problem turned out to be software/firmware (after having to press volvo to find the problem).

As I type - the car is at Volvo again. If I don't use the car for say 4 to 5 days, the car has a habbit of not starting, requiring a jump start. On this most recent visit, Volvo have indicated that there was a signficant battery drain when they first looked at it, and were surprised it started at all. However, once again they are unable to identify a cause (doing trickle charging tests or something - I'm no car mechanic). They are now suggesting I don't use the car enough and/or cold weather...

I don't by this. Are they really suggesting that the design specification of a V50 requires the car to be driven at least once a week? The battery is 1 year oldish and provided by them previously. I sense this will become a stalemate i.e. they can't find the problem, therefore its the customers fault.

I also don't understand the testing apprach. When I have the problem, its not on trickle charge, the doors are locked, keys out of ignition, car outside. There test apprach seems inappropriate?

My gut feeling is it is some combination of events and/or switch settings that leads to it.

Any thoughts / suggestions regards fault finding this.

Thanks in advance.
RAS

Old 02-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has the battery been replaced? I have a friend with a Honda Accord that would discharge fairly rapidly. He replaced the battery and it is fine now.

I have heard that these cars will drain the battery if not started for about two weeks. One week seems very short and is not normal.

It is strange that the dealer can't find the source of the drain. Is there another Volvo dealer that you can try? I had a recurring problem with one of my Volvos and the dealer couldn't figure it out. I went to another and they knew the problem before they even looked at the car.

Don't give up. They are great cars once you get them straightened out.
Stan

Old 02-17-2010, 12:49 AM
ras
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - the battery was previously replaced the last time I had the car in at the garage for this issue. So its will within its warranty period. between 1 and years old. Thanks