Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

01 Volvo v70 xc

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Volvo v70 xc Variable Valve Timing Solenoid Testing

Recently have some problems with my v70 xc, it'll crank but wont start. I eliminated many possibilities and am currently going over the Variable Valve Timing Solenoid, but I dont know what its specification of ohms it should be nor its voltage, if anyone can provide an answer for that, it would be most appreciated!!! Also prefer not to go through buying a manual to check, tight on money xD

Last edited by Christopher07; 09-07-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-07-2020, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

The vvt gear is driven by oil pressure - you can find some vids on youtube with how to's for cleaning and testing. Not sure if you are associating that with the no-start (doesn't seem a likely cause for a no-start) or just cleaning up stuff. Usually when they fail they just throw a check engine light (for retarded cam timing). What may be worth looking at is the valve timing in general, particularly if you don't know how old the timing belt is. Have you done a compression test?

Old 09-07-2020, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
The vvt gear is driven by oil pressure - you can find some vids on youtube with how to's for cleaning and testing. Not sure if you are associating that with the no-start (doesn't seem a likely cause for a no-start) or just cleaning up stuff. Usually when they fail they just throw a check engine light (for retarded cam timing). What may be worth looking at is the valve timing in general, particularly if you don't know how old the timing belt is. Have you done a compression test?
Found 1 video for testing and cleaning the VVT, but the one I have doesnt have the screw that separates the inner shaft from the outer casing. I have done a compression test, they were either 180 or 190 which is good. Timing belt is still in good condition, no cracks or rips.

Old 09-07-2020, 04:06 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by Christopher07
going over the Variable Valve Timing Solenoid, but Also prefer not to go through buying a manual to check, tight on money xD
Your VVT is NOT what is causing your car to not start - you need to look somewhere else. The VVT can't change the timing enough to prevent the car starting.

If you want the best Volvo service manual for free - download the stolen/hacked version of VIDA 2014d and install it on your Win7 Pro computer. The download is easily found, there's an image on swedespeed - All the specs you are looking for are in VIDA, as well as suggestions to solve problems. If you have A dice unit you can plug in and get info directly from the control units and watch live data. A cloned dice unit is about $80.

It takes 3 things for an engine to run
1. Compression- which you have
2. Fuel, what's the fuel pressure?
3. Spark, pull a coil, stick a spark plug in it, carefully ground the plug and spin the engine over - do you see a spark?
Of course fuel and spark have to occur at the correct time -

A possibility on a 2001 is the throttle module not opening, I've seen several seize and refuse to open causing the car to not start. (you need air for the car to run also) The 2001 throttle all went bad as some point - has yours ever been replaced? If you did it you would remember, they can be very expensive. -

Old 09-08-2020, 01:57 PM

It takes 3 things for an engine to run
1. Compression- which you have
2. Fuel, what's the fuel pressure?
3. Spark, pull a coil, stick a spark plug in it, carefully ground the plug and spin the engine over - do you see a spark?
Of course fuel and spark have to occur at the correct time -

A possibility on a 2001 is the throttle module not opening, I've seen several seize and refuse to open causing the car to not start. (you need air for the car to run also) The 2001 throttle all went bad as some point - has yours ever been replaced? If you did it you would remember, they can be very expensive. -[/QUOTE]

Fuel pressure is at 48 i have spark in all 5 cylinders, last time it was replaced was about 3 or 4 months ago

Old 09-08-2020, 02:50 PM

last time it was replaced was about 3 or 4 months ago
Sorry -

Inexpensive things to do -

Spray starting fluid into the intake and try to start to eliminate ignition/cam timing as a problem.

Check for injector pulse with a noid light - amazon has a pair for $10, maybe find 1 for $5

Make sure the fuel is all gas and not contaminated (I had a large amount of water in a BMW gas tank once - car would not run)

Old 09-10-2020, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by hoonk
Sorry -

Inexpensive things to do -

Spray starting fluid into the intake and try to start to eliminate ignition/cam timing as a problem.

Check for injector pulse with a noid light - amazon has a pair for $10, maybe find 1 for $5

Make sure the fuel is all gas and not contaminated (I had a large amount of water in a BMW gas tank once - car would not run)
Done the starting fluid, no go, injectors are good, spraying is good, no water in my fuel. Went to check on the throttle body.. but I suck at electronics xD I have a volt tester but no clue to which piece to connect to, anyone got any advice to ohms testing it and what it should be? also volt testing? (No throttle cable like others so i cant manually open it via cable and such)

Old 09-10-2020, 05:00 PM

Done the starting fluid, no go,
So - you have compression, spark, fuel pressure, injectors are spraying, and starting fluid in the intake causes nothing -

Whats your cam timing? (The mark on the crank gear is hard to see sometimes)
There's not really anything you can check with the throttle (without a scan tool) other than if it's seized - it's a module on the CAN network - So it does not use something simple like 0 volts is closed and 13 volts is open. Here's a wiring diagram - notice there's a fuse for the throttle - the ETM - #7 in the b fusebox sending power to the green/black then changes at the ETM connector to a green wire.

Old 09-15-2020, 10:52 AM

Can you dumb it down for a bit? xD I'm horrible at electrical work haha