Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

1999 V70 XC SR Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 V70 XC SR Questions

Hello all...new to the forum and relatively new to Volvos. The better half has been lusting for a white XC for years and we finally found her a 1999 with 59k on the clock. In pretty decent shape but required a number of issues to be addressed (ABS module - ouch, rear door latch broken, engine mount broken, dings fiixed., oil leaks...etc). I thought BMW repairs were expensive....good grief! Anyway...have a good indie anyway...hope we don't become best friends. Seems like a stout car overall and really handles the bad weather we have been having in the D.C. area.

Couple of questions though: The "SR" designation...just a package? Is on the window sticker but nowhere else on the car. The car has dual exhaust but I don't believe it is one of the hot "R" models (no "R" or "SR" badges), yet I don't see many XC models with the dual exhaust out there. Sorry...but just don't know enough about the car right now.

Also, are the seals and gaskets prone to drying out such that a car with 59k on it would seep oil?

Any help would be appreciated, without the guys on the Bimmer forums I'd be in deep trouble, hoping the Volvo guys are just as helpful. Thanks.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Default RE: 1999 V70 XC SR Questions

Steve, My wife has a 99XC SR w/ Outdoor package. I think that the SR designation is a package (power sunroof, CD player, front passenger power seat, leather &wood).

Our XC has 126K miles. In thesixteen months and9K milesthat we have owned it, I have fixed:

a broken wire to the transmission fluid temperature sensor, which was setting off the trans and CEL lights,
both front lower control arms,
the heater core,
the ABS Module (rebuilt by ModuleMaster for $110 + shipping, which certainly beats replacement),
rear rotors & pads,
the tailgate struts,
the fuel filter,
the front passenger window switch, and,
I am in the process of replacing the front driver's window switch. I am also dealing with a non-functioning fuel filler door release, mainly because of my own incompetence.

All of this work was done by me, which certainly saves the cash.

As far as seals and gaskets, it has been my experience that they are tight on these cars, with the exception of an oil seal at the turbo. It looks like a relatively easy DIY, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Incidentally, I have a '98 540i/6 (which is, like, the best). The bimmerforums site is much more active than this one. However, one of the moderators, "Tech," is extremely helpful and providesvery timely responses if he has an answer to a question. He has been a lifesaver for many of those on this site, including me.

For the bimmer, there is the great Bentley manual. For the 99XC, there is a primitive Haynes manual which covers the s70, v70 & c70 from 96-99. It does not cover any AWD Volvos, but it is a good place to start.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, you will want a OBD II code reader. I have an Equus, which Ipicked up for something northward of a hundred bucks.

Welcome to the forum!

Old 03-17-2007, 09:00 PM

Thanks Pete. Wish I knew about the module rebuild two weeks ago! Would have saved me $500....looks like I have a lot to learn about Volvos. I'll take a look at the seal on the turbo, I did put some dye in the oil to try and to be precise about where the seepage was coming from. Am going to try and do my own work as much as possible from here on out...but like with BMWs it is always nice to have a good indie who can bail you out when you need it. Will look into the OBD II reader,,,good idea.

Oh well. I usually go the DIY route with my Bimmers (have had 7 total) and have a Bentley manual for my e34 (535i) but the e39 Bentley is a bit costly...although I'll pick one up when I find it for less than $100. Love the 540i/6, could be my favorite Bimmer of all, and I've had two M3s. Great package of size, power, handling and luxury...and it is also manual which is real nice to play with. Not a sports car by any means but a lot of fun. Did post my first speeding ticket in a long time only two weeks after purchasing it...had it coming...no doubt about that!

Thanks again.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:22 AM

My Volvo mechanic told me that it's common for these cars to leak a little oil from the turbo b/c they use oil to lubricate themselves. That's why you have to use more oil for oil changes but is also why they last longer than 3000 miles for an oil change. If you take it into a place to change the oil make sure that they put in atleast 6 quarts instead of 4 or 5. Otherwise you'll be causing heat and excessive wear toyour engine and turbo. If the turbo leaks a little, don't worry about it. If it's excessive check it out closer.