Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

2001 XC70 Problems: Transmission / Putting in Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 XC70 Problems: Transmission / Putting in Drive

Transmission: I have been experiencing problems with my Volvo XC70 for several months now. When car slows down, it lurches into lower gear. (Had no error messages except the occasionally "Check Engine", which I have learned to live with.) We suspected transmission fluid or transmission problems, so took car into our repair shop, who are extremely trustworthy. They did a thorough check to see if there was a problem with the transmission, but could not find any problems. They said there was no problem with the transmission fluid, it was clean, and they did not recommend it be replaced. They said problems could be a precursor to the transmission failing! Since then, I have a "Transmission error message". I noticed several threads about transmission software upgrades (would this have shown up when shop ran codes)? Does anyone have any ideas on what we can do next, or do I have to live with this until the transmission eventually fails, or is there a fix? Thinking about selling car, but problem is pretty evident, so it would be difficult to sell it in current condition.

Problems getting car into drive: The second problem, is that I cannot always get the car into drive. The gear stick won't move! I have to wait patiently, or press the brake pedal very hard, or pump it and eventually the gear stick will move. (I have not been able to identify, what eventually allows it to move, whether it is pressing the brake pedal hard, pumping the brake pedal, pressing gear stick button more firmly or on and off.) Any suggestions as to what the problem might be would be much appreciated!

Thank you
Lesley

Last edited by Milady2u; 09-15-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Fix grammer and typos!
Old 09-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Cool Volvo's reply to my inquiry

Hi Lesley...my original note is at the bottom...Volvo's reply is at the top. I just contacted them today and they replied right away, although as you can see, there is no solid answer. You have probably notices that this issue is all over Volvo forums, so why they have not done a recall is beyond me. Keep me posted and I'll do the same....Ginny in Seattle
Thank you for contacting Volvo Cars of North America.
We apologize for the difficulties you have experienced with the transmission with your 2001 XC70. Volvo puts great effort into designing and manufacturing a quality automobile that will be safe and durable as current technology will allow. While it would be ideal for any vehicle to remain repair free, it is possible some vehicles with require corrections and Volvo cannot guarantee that every part or component of the vehicle will be completely free from repairs during ownership.
It is not possible for us to offer an explanation as to why you have experienced these issues with your particular vehicle. Your model was built using the best technology available at the time of production and was supported by a 4 year or 50,000 mile warranty, whichever came first.
If an authorized Volvo retailer has diagnosed that your transmission needs replacement we would suggest contacting the Service Manager at that specific location. The Service Manager can contact his or her District Representative for Volvo to review getting some financial assistance outside of the terms of the warranty. These reviews are conducted on a case by case basis and there is no guarantee for financial assistance but we suggest at least following up with the Service manager to seek out this type of a review.
You may wish to visit our website (http://www.volvocars.us) and click on "Find a Retailer" which allows you to search for a retailer based on your zip code or city and state. This feature also provides maps and driving directions which may be helpful.

Along with countless others, I am very distressed about the transmission problems with my car.I bought my pre-owned car 2.5 years ago with 60K miles on it.All has been well until recently, when I got a 'transmission service required' msg while on a road trip (120K).I was told by my reliable independent shop that I should prepare to replace the transmission if the latest software upgrade does not work. If there are intrinsic probs with these trannys, Volvo should, indeed, replace them without cost. I will see the dealer for the upgrade soon, but I am not happy about the possibility of spending $4k on a $14K car I am still paying for. I will not detail the symptoms because you know what they are. Please, don't avoid this issue any longer. You owe your customers more. Thank you. I would appreciate a reply.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Default Contact With Volvo CANADA About Trans Problem is Worse...

I appreciate the copy of the letter you received from Volvo USA and you posting it, up here in Canada, we just don't get anything in writing from Volvo,lol. What we do get is a phone call... great you say, well without getting into any details of my COMICAL conversation with Volvo Canada all started with" I am not a Techician and I have no access to any technical data", I actually laughed at this gentlemean when he said that, and his reply was dead silence... I felt bad an apologized for laughing at him... I then asked if he could get a technician to call me back as talking with him was pointless... again more silence and again, I felt bad.

It was actually a painful, but comical coversation that basically ended with, I am sorry, but you just received a bad transimssion that you didn't maintain and if the dealer says it needs to be replaced, it needs to be replaced... and that was 6 months ago and I still driving the car with all the symptons acting up now and again.

I have always owned a Volvo, but I'm looking at Subarus now... and that hurts me to say more than you think!