2004 XC70 - Steering - no return from full lock - Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:20 PM

Default 2004 XC70 - Steering - no return from full lock

Hi,
I'm new on this forum since I just purchased my car last month.

Here is my problem:
When making a full turn, if I release my hands from the steering wheel, it will stay locked and the car goes in perfect circles until itruns out of gas. I can get down and watch it from the side... If I gently pull the wheel, it will slowly return to the center position. I didn't notice this in other conditions, except to a FULL turn, to the left or to the right, it doesn't matter.

Initially, Volvo said that I am missing the limiters inside the steering rack (which proved to be false). Then they said that the steering rack doesn't have a part no, so it may have been replaced (because of a frontal hit!!!!). I have proofs that the car was never involved in any accident at all.
When the car was lifted I noticed that the tires are touching the stabilizer bar at full turn. Also, when I drive it, I can easily see how the steering wheel is "attracted" like by a magnet when it's approx 1" close to the end of the turn. This will smudge the car a little (at first I blamed it on the slippery conditions of the road).

I drove one other identical Volvo and it did exactly the same thing. When I told that to Volvo (my mistake), they said that if 2 cars act the same way, then this is the way to be, that is the normal way of steering, they "cannot fix something which is by design". I could agree with them that if they had told me this before I told them, but it was the other way around. My guess is that they are not aware of this defect, but they don't have a solid explanation for it. They refused to give me something in written saying that this is normal for my car.

If any of you encountered the same issue and if you know a fix for it, I would be grateful to you if you share it with me.

Thanks,
Cristian