Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

2013 XC70 Tailgate Stuck Closed

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2013 XC70 Tailgate Stuck Closed

I have a 2013 XC70 T6, on which the tailgate closed...and will not open again. Has ~90K on the car.

0 - The tailgate is closed firmly, does not visually appear not closed fully. Does not move at all.
1 - Checked fuse #11 B under glove - fuse ok and replaced fuse.
2 - Computer indicates the tailgate is open (both via ODB and on dash).
3 - The tailgate open sign begins to flash on dashboard only when applying brake pedal while driving. No warning signs when driving when not applying brake pedal. Otherwise, car drives perfectly.
4 - The microswitch in tailgate handle "clicks" when I press the handle and at same time I hear a relay of some sort clicking very quietly somewhere near front passenger area. I'm assuming this is the relay that tells the lock to unlock..so again, I'm assuming electrical/computer items operate.
5 - Tailgate doesn't open/unlock when pressing tailgate button on dash or on key fob.
6 - When I start the car, and after trying to unlock the gate (either but handle, dash button or key fob), I hear a faint "humming" of a stuck motor/actuator inside the tailgate which does not stop, until after I pull the #11 fuse out. The humming resumes when I plug the fuse back in.

Tried pushing, pulling, knocking, etc. the door is jammed hard it seems. I do not recall seeing anything that may have been gotten into the locking/latch by accident and jam it. The "trunk" was nearly empty when this happened.

So, I am assuming folks that the locking mechanism is "jammed" and electrically cannot unlock the gate. OK, I'm fine with it, we can fix that I'm sure. But, can anyone help me with guidance on how to force unlock the tailgate to gain access to the latching mechanism? I read a bunch of other forums and posts, and there doesn't appear to be a mechanical release and also gaining access to the latch is difficult in any year of this car it seems. I couldn't find anyone's experiences with this year or similar design yeah, where the tailgate has one large piece of carpet molding which can only be removed when tailgate is opened. (There are screws on the side that hold it in place with plastic molding on top of it).

Does anyone know how to gain access to the latching mechanism to unjam it...so one can repair it DYI?

Thanks a lot folks,
Alex...

Old 05-26-2020, 08:11 PM
Default 2013 XC70 Tailgate Stuck Closed - Resolved!

Folks,
Not sure if this is a known method but I could not locate any discussions on how to open a completely closed tailgate. So...after struggling myself I found THE SECRET METHOD !!

1 - On the black plastic cover on the latch mechanism, which is visible from inside the cargo area, on the right half of it, there is a small outline of what looks like a punch hole location. It is a punch hole location which exposes the secret. It's about all you can see of the latch cover between the tailgate back carpeted cover and bottom floor carpeted cover.
2 - Take a mid-size flat head screwdriver and punch the hole thru. It will expose another hole in the aluminum body of the latch mechanism.
3 - It is very difficult to see but this exposes one of the locking latches used to lock the tailgate, which moves across that opening from open to lock position when latch operates.
4 - Take a small round tool, such as small screwdriver or a hex L-key, insert it into the hole, angling it at about 75deg from left to right. You're trying to get to the side of the locking piece of the mechanism.
5 - Move your tool from left to right, forcing the locking mechanism part to move from right to left.
6 - Bang! This unlocks the lock. Every time!

I'm attaching a stock photo of the latch so you can see the rounded hole I'm referring to, including it's punch hole location in the plastic cover. I'm calling this a secret...because I've not seen any reference to this instruction and in one place I've seen where a fellow driver had the exact same issue and service wouldn't tell him how they unlocked it. If this isn't well distributed public knowledge, then I hope this will get to help others with similar issues and how to get out of a difficult situation in a bind.

Of course, this doesn't resolve the problem of a broken latch but at least now you can open your tailgate in an emergency and for me...remove the broken latch and replace with new. I've confirmed the buzzing sounds comes from the latch mechanism itself, which seems to have jammed or broken internally.

Kind regards to all,
Alex...

Location of secret punch hole in latch cover. The back tailgate carpeted cover was removed AFTER I unlocked the tailgate. With the cover, you can still see this "hole". It's about all you can see of the latch itself.

Insert small tool at about this angle

Move tool from left to right to unlock latch

stock photo with clear details

Old 08-03-2020, 04:04 PM

We have had very similar problems with our 2013 XC70. We had the lock replaced but are still having problems. Were you able to resolve the issue with your tailgate?

Old 12-25-2020, 01:58 PM

good trick and nice tip!
used with success
wiper and gate will not function due to worn wires in harness above tailgate at hinges.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:48 PM

I have a 2015 XC70 that has the same intermittent problem. I understand it might have something to do with the ground connection in one of the connectors in the roof, under the plastic cover next to the rear dome light (the one right by the tailgate). I have heard there is a technical bulletin that Volvo put out but I do not have any ore details.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue and the correction was repairing the harness close to the hatch.
It took the dealer 3 tries to figure it out. Have not had any issues since

Old 02-09-2022, 08:10 AM

I am having the same problem with a 2013 V70. Symptoms are very similar as laid out by the op. With the addition that the rest of the electrics on the tail gate (rear wiper, number plate light, reversing lights) are also affected. A big thanks to Alex for the tip on opening the latch.

Did you find the solution to the underlying issue? Harness all looks visually sound.

Old 02-09-2022, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default resolved tailgate isdue

The problem was in the harness which is routed in to the tailgate at the top. The design and placement of the harness causes stress and breaks wires. Hope this helps others because it is annoying to say the least.

The following users liked this post:
gruffalogriff (02-10-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 07:01 AM

After a couple of frustrating months of having this intermittent fault on the tailgate latch, extensive checking of the wires in the harness myself and at the local garage i finally found the fault thanks to this
In the roof panel under the cargo light there are two wiring loom connectors. It is the connection of the ground cable (black/orange) actually inside the bigger of the two connectors that is the issue. Cut the ground cable at either side of loom connector and join it with a block connector etc, problem solved with no issues since.

Old 08-02-2022, 04:24 PM
Default Don’t see the magic slot in 2008 !

Hello. I think this is a great tip and wonderful option. Except my 2008 V70 tailgate lock doesn’t have the marking nor the slot! I cut off part of the cover and see the round pressed shafts/pins, but no slot under or around it. It is solid metal.
any ideas for such models other than drilling into the lock body to create a hole to slide the latch over?
thank you very much.

Old 03-30-2023, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Oliai
Hello. I think this is a great tip and wonderful option. Except my 2008 V70 tailgate lock doesn’t have the marking nor the slot! I cut off part of the cover and see the round pressed shafts/pins, but no slot under or around it. It is solid metal.
any ideas for such models other than drilling into the lock body to create a hole to slide the latch over?
thank you very much.

I'm in the same boat, did you find a solution that didn't involve causing major damage? My POT won't open and I don't have the hole.

Old 01-02-2024, 12:13 PM
Default Tail gate won't unlatch

I have a similar problem with my tailgate switch which I suspect is a Micro switch that is either in need of WD40 / Switch Cleaner or replacement, which has stopped opening the tailgate, the answer especially in an emergency is use the remote key fob button to open the tail gate.or the tailgate switch on the Dash.