Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Can't unlock my XC70

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't unlock my XC70

So this is a long story, but unfortunately none of the Volvo dealer service departments that I have spoken to can help, so here goes...

We were away for about 2 weeks and when we returned home I started up my 2002 XC70, seemingly without any problems. The next day I detailed the car and afterwards the car would not start. I was able to jump-start it and let the battery charge. The next day I was running errands and the warning light "voltage too low" came up, so I figured it was time for a new battery. I went to Pep Boys and got a new one. Everything seemed fine. The next day I was again running errands and the warning light appeared "Voltage too high - stop safely". I pulled over and called the dealership. They said it could either be a control card for the computer system or the alternator could be over charging. My local Volvo mechanic is only about 1 mile from my house so the next morning (yesterday) I brought it there so that he could test the alternator (seemingly the cheapest/easiest option). His charger read that the alternator was not providing ENOUGH charge (only barely hitting 13) and said that the computer might have misread this problem and misdiagnosed it as "Voltage too high." Also, during my one mile drive, the computer did not mention the overcharge but rather "El. System Service Required."

I returned home to order an alternator. I got out of the car and locked the door with the key fob. In the afternoon I went out to determine if I needed to order one with a clutch or not and found that I could not unlock the car with the key fob. I figured that the battery had drained and so I tried to unlock the car manually - it will not unlock. The key turns the normal amount and the post in the car moves up about 1/4 inch, but then it will not go any further. I have tried pulling the handle while turning the key and turning the key in many various patterns or right and left, but no luck. As you know, there is no other key slot on the vehicle, so I have no other options. I can't do any work on the car until I can at least get in to unlock the hood or trunk (to access the battery).

Any suggestions??? Like I said, I have spoken with several different dealers and even a locksmith - they are all baffled. I am thinking "CarTalk" is my only hope...

Thanks.