Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Coins in the tape player and SRS Airbag Urgent Message

Old 07-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Coins in the tape player and SRS Airbag Urgent Message

Hi Folks,

I have a 2002 XC70 (use to own a 850GLT in case you are wondering about my login name). We were just getting ready to pack up and return from a camping trip this morning so we put our 3 year old daughter in the car with my IPOD touch to keep her busy (windows down ofcourse). Soon we realized that our daughter was very quiet so my wife went to go check on her. The little one kept saying "Coin Mumma" while pointing at the tape player. Come to find out, my sweet little angel had put in all the quarters (5 in total) that were left by me (ouch!!) in the cup holder into the cassette holder of the tape player. So I tried to pull out the quarters one by one. I took 4 out of the 5 quarters but the 5th one slipped and fell inside to the back of the inside of the cassette holder. I tried to play the cassette and it seemed to be working so I disregarded the 5th one. Soon after we left the campground, the Brake system failure message appeared on the computer and asked me to "please stop safely" so I did. Immediately after or just before i stopped, the brake message dissapeared and the SRS Airbag Urgent message appeared and has been on since then. Also, the cassette player no longer grabs my cassette into the cassette holder.

My question is: Could the 5th coin that I could not get out have caused some sort of circuit malfunction or are the two issues totally unrelated. I have read some posts and they mention to have the SRS airbag message reset by the dealer. Once they have reset the SRS message, could I rest assured that nothing else is wrong with the Air bag system. My family's safety is a number one priority for me. I just want to be sure I know as much as I can about this before I take it to the dealer lest they rip me off. Also, I know there are some TSB's that are out for the 2002 XC70. Is it normal for me to ask the dealer to go ahead and apply all the TSB fixes to my car?

Thanks a lot for your patience and replies in advance!

Regards,
Shak