Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

SRS Airbag Urgent Service Required message

Old 02-28-2012, 07:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation SRS Airbag Urgent Service Required message

Hello- I have a 99' S80 T6. I recently needed to replace the light bulbs in my heat/AC controls. The only way to remove the module was to start the car and place it in drive. I could not turn the key off and when I removed the module, all of the warning lights came on, the door locks would not work and I got this "SRS Airbage Urgent Service Required" message. After I changed all of the bulbs, (at $12.36 each!!!) I replaced the heater control module and everything returned to normal. The airbag light also went off, however the message still remains on as well as the dreaded red triangle. Is there a way to clear this without having to take it to the dealership? I tried my OBD scan tool, however no codes came up. Should I try to disconnect the batter? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by bcpape
Is there a way to clear this without having to take it to the dealership? I tried my OBD scan tool, however no codes came up. Should I try to disconnect the batter? Any help would be appreciated.
I got the message after changing the battery last summer only to find out that if you disconnect the terminals in the wrong order, it trips the srs airbag message. Then I found out that you have to have more than an OBD scan tool - needs the Airbag reset tool which is quite a bit more expensive than my OBD scan tool that I connect to a laptop. I ended up having a local indie shop reset it for about 1/2 what the dealer said it would be.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:09 AM

Well, thanks. I do have a independant shop I can take it to. It's really a shame that Volvo had to make these things so unreliable and temperamental. Who would have thought that disconnecting the HVAC module, or in your case, the battery, would trip an SRS code. That is just stupid and waaayyyy over engineered. Really drains the pleasure out of owning one of these...

Old 02-29-2012, 02:21 PM

That is just stupid and waaayyyy over engineered. Really drains the pleasure out of owning one of these...
Much nicer way of saying it than what I often think

Old 02-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you know that the two issues are related by more than circumstance? The SRS system requires (for liability and reliability issues) a periodic check and every period it gives that exact message. The mechanic will check the system and reset the timer / message. Maybe yours is due for an inspection?

Old 03-01-2012, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by stonepa
How do you know that the two issues are related by more than circumstance? The SRS system requires (for liability and reliability issues) a periodic check and every period it gives that exact message. The mechanic will check the system and reset the timer / message. Maybe yours is due for an inspection?
I could buy that, but what are the chances that the particular service interval would occur at the precise moment that I disconnected the HVAC module? I had the leave the ignition on to get the module out, because the shift **** needs to be in the far rear position to make clearance. (Even say so in VADIS) So the very moment I unplugged the HVAC module, the SRS light came on, along with just about every other warning light on the dash. At the same time, the door locks cycled and then would not work until I re-connected the module. There is just no logical reason to inter-connect all of those circuits. I've worked in electrical engineering in the past and that just makes no sense or logic...

Old 03-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Default Warning Lights...battery...

What is the correct order to disconnect the battery ?

Old 03-28-2012, 02:07 PM

I could buy that, but what are the chances that the particular service interval would occur at the precise moment that I disconnected the HVAC module? I had the leave the ignition on to get the module out, because the shift **** needs to be in the far rear position to make clearance. (Even say so in VADIS) So the very moment I unplugged the HVAC module, the SRS light came on, along with just about every other warning light on the dash. At the same time, the door locks cycled and then would not work until I re-connected the module. There is just no logical reason to inter-connect all of those circuits. I've worked in electrical engineering in the past and that just makes no sense or logic...
I doubt that it's coincidental. I just did the same thing with my '01 S60 last night, and I'm getting that airbag warning. Kudos to the guy who posted the tutorial to open up that panel in this forum. I envy him for the fact that his T5 was a manual shifter.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 PM

I have a 2004 S-60 and have been getting the SRS Airbag Urgent Service Required message. I have taken my car to the Volvo dealership on more than one occasions to fix the problem only to have it returned. 2 weeks ago I took my car in again for service and to fix the urgent message which has returned. After spending $1800 to replace the computer system, the urgent message is back again after only a week. I am not to happy because I now think I paid $1800 for something I didn't need to replace.
Any suggestions?

Old 07-25-2012, 06:22 AM

Yes. Sell it and buy a Mercedes. I just did...
The Volvo is a nice car, but I had enough. Too much stupidity in the design, too much money to keep it on the road. That will be the LAST Volvo I'll ever own...