Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

dealer service

Old 04-25-2014, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dealer service

check engine light: evap leak $348.00 an 1 week later, same check light, same evap leak, do i really bring it back to the dealer?

rattle in rear, they said it was a muffler bracket broken and tightened the spare tire hold down (n/c for that) $238.00, still same rattle only worsening

2006 xc 70 turbo, 78k mikes, dealer serviced LEMON, they offered $5500 as a trade, needs a lot or work : struts, tires, rear brakes, rear assist service $1348 something else totaling $4600

but I cannot find another awd wagon that i like so much

Old 04-26-2014, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Take it back and make them fix it for free since they didn't fix it correctly. Drive with the tech and show him the noise.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:24 PM

Thanks for replying . . . the rattle I am blaming no one since it has been for a several years now that i have been trying to locate the source of this rattle and also two different dealers/3 attempts. I tried looking behind a fuse access door on the left side of the hatch area and found a small black module that was just hanging freely suspended by a few connected wires, that I just wrapped in loosely wound paper towels, bouncing around this may be the culprit.

Yes, taking it back, 30 miles each way, loaner car I hope, is a pain.

I still hear the occasional clunk underneath that I think is when the engine changes gears as the car is moving

And the louder clunk sound when shifting gears while standing still though I think this happens more so when the car has been running a while 1/2 hour or more.

Is Aamco a wiser choice to have the transmission checked?
Do Volvo dealers sub-out involved tranny work?

The dealer as I requested did do a trans fluid change and something about a torque converter fix as well

I ramble . . . thanks for listening

Old 04-27-2014, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

We don't sub out trans work, but we also don't rebuild them. If there is an internal problem in the transmission, aside from the valve body, we replace the transmission.

Having seen multiple cars come back in to me after having the transmission rebuilt elsewhere, I don't know if I would recommend Aamco or any other trans shop.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:15 PM

ES6T, thanks for your reply, much appreciated . . . . would you mind/can i ask you if a price i was quoted by dealer for front struts and spring seats is inline, and also a new radio install, GPS needs new deck, questions like these?

Old 05-01-2014, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah sure. What did they quote you?

Old 05-06-2014, 07:01 PM

ES6T

I was quoted as follows . . . 2006 XC70 basically dealer maintained, local synthetic oil changes, car has 78k on it

990 front struts and spring seats
438 evap leak * no harm to hold off on doing this, just bad gas mileage
1348 rear assist service needed * there was no beeping when backing up, they said I have no awd
852 needs new radio

just paid 750 for a simple tranny service i requested but there is still a kinda of clunking occasionally, and an occasional metal clang i think when it changes gears, they also glued axles? and some other minor things

now today another head lamp is out, probably the third, in addition to maybe a half dozen other bulbs over the years

GPS deck died years back
needed new ignition switch 2 years ago
power window motor
fuel cap

thanks

Old 05-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

990 front struts and spring seats

Sounds about right if it includes an alignment.

438 evap leak * no harm to hold off on doing this, just bad gas mileage

No idea, depends on what is being replaced.

1348 rear assist service needed * there was no beeping when backing up, they said I have no awd

No idea, depends on what is being replaced. Does $1348 include fixing the AWD? The two are not related.

852 needs new radio

Been a while since I priced a radio, not sure about this one. Might be a little high but close.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:50 PM

brought it in today to follow up on things that need attending to, breaks rear 199 special with coupon i still have to look for. also low beam out 120 because its behind the battery i think he said battery my bad for not knowing

road test with tech to try to locate rattle in passenger rear area of car that's been there for years, most evident during spring and summer seasons, in the winter it is much less apparent,

the 990 for struts front and spring seat (he never said seats, seat0 is w/o alignment and he will look at what the parts cost again to see what he can do

They quoted 900+ area for pirelli scorpions around and my local quase' friend local tire guy was 780 = 100+ align; it was 625 four years ago
for same pirelli scorps they said specified by volvo
Service guy said when asked and answered yes the awd is directly related to the re module that i need for 1350, on the "rear assist serv required" and will not pass the next inspection

i still have the $348 evap leak that supposedly affects gas mileage only

funky subtle not loud crunching and creaks and clangs undercarriage front to middle area.

radio is not a neccesity, i just want it running like a champ again, that new car suspension

8 years old this month, 79k near excellent body, interior . . i wanted this to last until at least 200k miles for my son to have as a first car

i ramble i know

thanks ES6T