Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

ECC Cabin Temp Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECC Cabin Temp Sensor

A number of questions about ECC Cabin Temp Sensor in 98 V70XC AWD. First of all, the fan on mine does not run. I removed and cleaned all of the dust/lint out of it, and reinstalled it. The sensing bulb seems to be working because the driver & passenger damper motors do respond to input changes from the ECC Control Head Temp ***** and the cabin temperatures maintain contstants. The fan on the sensor still does not run. The fan blades free wheel so the motor is not seized. I did a continuity check of the motor leads on the circuit board itself and the motor windings read .67 ohms so I know it isn't shorted, but I do not read any continuity for the motor at the connector pins themselves. Those pins go through the circuit board on the sensor unit before they get to the motor itself.

Questions:
1. Are there two Cabin Temp Sensors on the 98 V70XC (driver & passenger) like I read about the older 850s's?
2. If so, where is the one for the passenger side? (I saw an empty green 4 pin plug on the passenger side up against the outside wall that looks exactly like the one that plugs into the driver side, but it is covered up by the side carpet & dash.)
3. Do the ECC stored fault codes (yes I get 20 flashing lights at start) have to be cleared before the Cabin Temp Sensor fan will start running again?
4. How much voltage should be at the connector to run the fan portion of the Cabin Temp Sensor? (I haven't checked it, but didn't want to apply 12vdc to unit in case the ECC control head might only supply something less) Thanks for any input you guys might have.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought I best update what I have learned since I have gotten a few messages about issue above.

98 V70 only has one ECC Cabin Temp Control Sensor. It is located in the dash to the left of the Temp Control Box next to all the swithes there.

I never got the fan on it to run and have not replaced it. I am waiting for an opportunity to get an old one from a yard. Stealers want way to much for a new one.

The temp sensing bulb in it still is able to control the climate control temperatures that you select on the control box so even though the lights flash 20 times everytime you start the car, I can live with it.

There are seperate fault codes for the ECC system and the OBDII readers can't read them or clear them. If I do get another sensor that does work I understand that the fault codes should clear out itself on the next self test. It still may remain in memory though but so what.

Bottom line, AC is working good! Still! (Oh yes, that was after I changed the evaporator inside the car, and heater core...which showed signs of seaping....) That is when I discovered that the temp sensor fan wasn't running.