Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Looking at a 2000 XC

Old 08-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 2000 XC

Hi All, I've briefly browsed the forum here, but haven't seen the question pop up. Anyway, I'm looking at a 2000 XC, with about 150k miles on it. It has had the engine replaced supposedly due to a minor engine fire (which I've not seen too much regarding any such tendency). I've driven the car, and while the overall shape seems pretty good, I can't say that I know enough about this particular model to be able to know what kinds of things I should look out for. I'm fairly experienced turning a wrench, so in general, repairs don't bother me (I used to have full ASE certification, in case that means anything to anyone). However, even though I don't mind doing the work, I am concerned with parts availability, and what I would deem to be 'major' issues like the transmission or AWD. So, if anyone would like to take a shot at answering a few questions, I would appreciate it:

1. While accelerating, there is what feels like a driveline vibration, that is proportional to road speed (not engine speed). What sort of thing is most likely to be the culprit?

2. The power seems to be down. Granted, it's not exactly a powerhouse engine, but my TDI Jetta seems faster. No check engine light, but they did say that they replaced the airflow sensor (?) and Oxygen sensor. I couldn't hear the turbo spooling, so I'm kind of suspecting that there may be an issue there. However, not being familiar with the car, it is quite possible that the turbo is quiet on these.

3. Along the lines of #1, are engine mounts a problem on these?

4. What vendors sell the 'hard' parts (ie, bearings and stuff), that most parts stores don't sell, (besides the dealers ;-)

Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to respond.

-Darryl

Old 08-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Default RE: Looking at a 2000 XC

Darryl,

Welcome. I have a Jetta TDI as well. Nice car. WHat year is yours? Anyway, yes, engine mounts are a fairly common issue with these cars, especial;ly one that is 8 years old. They are easy to replace.

As for vendors, I personally like to use FCP Groton. The can be found at fcpgroton.com.

Good luck

Old 08-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Looking at a 2000 XC

My TDI is a 2000, which I now have 235k miles on it, relatively trouble-free. I've been surprised at the relative lack of responses within volvo forums. Normally, any kind of enthusiast site will garner a large number of people who have dealt with just about any issue imaginable, and usually have all kinds of suggestions and tips. At least that's true of the VW TDI forums at tdiclub.com. Not that I'm knocking the volvo community... rather, just surprised.

I'm not concerned if there is a problem with the engine mounts, as they are relatively inexpensive. However, if the bevel gear is blown or bad, that might be a significant factor, and even more so if parts are not readily available except from a dealer. It appears that the 2000 model has fewer transmission issues than the 2001 through 2003(?), so that might not be as much as a concern. The driveshaft doesn't seem to be a major deal, as there are apparently some aftermarket U joints that can be fitted with some difficulty if one of those goes bad, and I've seen rebuilt driveshafts for about 450.00, and new at about 650.00 from one vendor. Not cheap, but not ridiculous, either.

I'll be taking a drive in a different 98 V70 awd, so I should be able to gauge the power output and acceleration between the two (I'd prefer the 2000 Cross country over the 98, but it's good to be able to compare similar drivetrains).

Thanks

-Darryl