Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Metalic clanking under the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metalic clanking under the car

My son has a 2000 XC70 with about 160,000 miles on it. It has an intermittent clanking from under the car. Itsounds like something bouncing off a piece of sheet metal. Also reminds me of when I used to clip playing cards to the rear wheel of my kids bike! It does not appear to be from the engine. The frequency increases with the speed of the car. It usually starts at about 10mph. Sometimes the car will go for days without making the noise. The CV joints appear to be OK. Someone said possibly the universal joint on the drive shaft. If so, and idea as to what the repair should cost?
Thanks

Old 11-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Metalic clanking under the car

It is expensive to replace the driveshaft.
You can remove it and drive it for a little while and see if it is gone.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:12 PM

I have a 98 xc with 96k. My car started to make the same noise on the way home from having new tires installed. Have you diagnosed your problem yet? I even had the tire guys pull the wheels again and check everything. It sounds like a brake shield is hitting a spinning wheel/rotorand is directly related to wheel speed.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Crawl under the car and look for anything loose. It MIGHT be the exhaust heat shields hitting something

Old 01-07-2009, 07:03 AM

Did you ever find out what that clanking noise was under your car. I have the same problem, not able tp figure it out yet

Old 01-09-2009, 02:13 PM

I had this exact noise diagnosed a drive shaft on my 99 XC70

Old 01-15-2009, 08:06 PM

I have not found out what this is yet. The noise is intermittent. The tire guys think the e-brake is possibly hanging up because when on the lift the passenger rear wheel would not turn freely, yet the other three would. Bringing to a volvo/suby shop tomorrow.
Iam really worried the noise is coming from the rear diff or drive shaft. Might be time for a trade.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Have them pull the rotors and inspect the e-brake shoe linings and make sure one didnt come loose.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:43 PM

Diagnosed as driveshaft. rrebuilt one from Colorado came in today. I am thinking of swopping it out myself. Anyone ever do this before? Any special tools or tricks to make it easier?

Old 02-17-2009, 07:40 PM

OK so I replaced the driveshaft but still have a minor vibration and more clunk coming from rear of car when shifting to drive or reverse. I took it to a local transmission shop and lo and behold they noticed the rear end mount was loose ( where the rear of drive shaft enters the v/c) Then they notice 3 tires are 205 65 15's and 1 is a 60 series.) If you look at the beginning of this post I had no issues until driving home after having 4 new tires installed. $800 and two months of BS to find this out. I had few choice words for the local store manager who put me in touch with corporate. A claim will be put in and the car will be going to the local dealer. How damage could this have done in 3200 miles???????

Old 02-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Administrator

It could have wiped out the angle gear make sure it is checked.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:17 AM

Waiting for the written go ahead from tire company today before bring to local dealer. Tire place said they would pick up the bill for repairs. When I called dealer their reply was " not good at all, can't even begin to tell what could be screwed up". I just want my volvo back to normal as I love the car and it drove perfect bfore the tires.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by malibu2
My son has a 2000 XC70 with about 160,000 miles on it. It has an intermittent clanking from under the car. Itsounds like something bouncing off a piece of sheet metal. Also reminds me of when I used to clip playing cards to the rear wheel of my kids bike! It does not appear to be from the engine. The frequency increases with the speed of the car. It usually starts at about 10mph. Sometimes the car will go for days without making the noise. The CV joints appear to be OK. Someone said possibly the universal joint on the drive shaft. If so, and idea as to what the repair should cost?
Thanks
Did you fix this? If not try the coupler on the front or rear of driveshaft. $200 dollar part. Easy fix to do yourself. Replaced mine and tinging went away. Unfourtunatly I had other issues.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:02 PM
Default Same problem here I think on my XC 70

Replaced the front CV's and now I think the drive shaft is doing the tinging, sounds like someone is tapping a pipe with a ball peen hammer. Intermittent and pretty slow consistent cadence. Sound like it's from the front Ujoint? I guess I had better check the motor mount too.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:53 PM

My volvo 99 v70 xc was making the same noise, getting worst over time. Took rear drive shaft out today. Car makes no more noise. Drive shaft looked fine, not sure why the drive shaft got out of balance, if that is the problem.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Default Pulled my driveshaft also, how long can I drive without it?

I pulled my drive shaft yesterday morning. Took about 15 minutes with air tools. Very easy. completly eliminated my ball peen hammer sound. I have a friend who is a mechanic who is going to have a local drive shaft repair service machine shop repair it f possible.

My question is, How long can we drive without it? I have a road trip this week (600 miles) and I wonder if I should rent a car. Seems loke it drives normal around town.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Administrator

You can throw it away and keep driving without it.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Default metal ting-ing noise

hi , i may have posted somthing like this before, i have a 99 xc and mine made the same noise , and also grumbled when reversing up hill, i had the propshaft (gearbox to diff) off to inspect , i used to work for a prop - drive shaft company in the uk. the volvo prop has three universal joints and a centre hanger bearing that i couldn't get replaced because once fitted ,the tube leading up to the forgings that hold the universal joints are then friction welded (this means the forgings are held still while the tube is spun into them. this creates a weld that although very strong and balanced, cant be seperated and re- joined. we attempted to split and re-join this type of weld and then sent test pieces to the welding institute in peterborough UK. they comfirmed because of the hardening of the mild steel through the original friction weld and the thin gauge of tube the welds were only about 30% of the original strengh and more importantly not stable . as a favour i got my old company to replace them with GKN forgings with universal joints much the same as land/range rover , fitted with internal circlips.
the problem noise was solved , but unfortunatly i still had a vibration and on a much more detailed inspection ive ended up replacing (here we go !) both front strut upper + lower bearings , both front wheel bearings ,both front droplink arms , front discs , front rollbar , 4 front wishbone bushes , front springs , front brake lines, and ive still got to replace the rear springs . checking the drive shafts has revealed at least 3 worn cv joints , 1 cv gaitor, and as far as i can tell from the occilating stub shafts in my diff output bearings ( about 2-3 mm) i think ill be removeing the diff to refurbish that as well.
did i mention i need after all the fiddeling and adjusting i need new handbrake cables ! I paid £3750 for 94,000 miles the car has been well looked after , with volvo history up to 80,000miles no dents,rips,tears,rattels it a minter by looks ,but a minger 5k miles later after 2 seosens of towing a 23 ft caravan it's knackerd!
current spend so far £1244 . dont get me wrong , i love this car and ill keep spending and working with my lead lamp in the dark , im not going to buy another awd , only to find iv'e got the same problems after a few thousend miles ! i'd rather know iv'e got a good 1 from the ground up , but unless your a fanatic , any awd probs get rid of it , even if your loosing 50% of your purchase price, believe me it's the cheepest option.
by the way , my local car parts dealer , now a good friend of mine told me AWD stands for "ALL WILL DIE" .lol (very loud it helps),

cheers
Daren.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:59 AM

I dont Know if this fits here but I have a noise as well on my 99xc.
The Drivers side wheel well makes a rattle noise. Its like on my old 740 when the heat shield came loose. It makes that tin vibration on slow speeds. I can only hear it with the window down. This only started to happen after I took it to a quick lube to get the oil changed.

Thanks Guys for any reply.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Backing plate might be rubbing on the rotor.