Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

New member, ABS unt replacement and P1618

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, ABS unt replacement and P1618

Hello all,

I'm a new member here, though the posts in this forum have been helping me for a while now...thanks for all the information you've shared!

Before I start, here's what I drive: 2000 V70 XC with about 150K miles.

OK, here's my issue...I'm getting a recurring CEL caused by error P1618. If I clear the error using either my cheap ODBII tool or by disconnecting the battery for a while, it only takes about 6 seconds of the car running for the light to come back on.

I was having an ABS unit problem...all the usual stuff: flashing up-arrow light, ABS light on, Brake light on, maybe even the TRACS light on, and intermittent malfunction of the speedo...and a remanufactured unit from Victor Rocha solved all of those issues.

Also, while doing the ABS replacement, I also:
- changed the spark plugs
- changed the engine air filter
- changed the cabin air filter
- changed the fuel filter
- changed the oil and installed a new oil filter

The engine was running about the same before and after the service...string runner, but with one issue - an occasional miss at idle, especially when the A/C is running.

Any ideas for what could be causing this CEL issue? I need to have the car inspected in the next week or so, and I don't think it will pass with the CEL no matter how well it's running.

Thanks a ton in advance. I did search for related topics, but none were an exact match for my situation, so I decided to post again. My apologies if there's an obvious answer that you all end up posting like every week. At least I didn't ask about oil ;-)

Thanks again,
- Doug
Falls Church, VA

Old 07-20-2011, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

Just wanted to follow up with what happened to be the resolution of my issue. I'm guessing that the P1618 code was caused by the original ABS module failure, and that my cheap-o code reader couldn't fully clear the code after the module swap.

A day or so after my original post the car started to miss consistently...I suspected a bad coil, but ended up taking it to a local Volvo shop instead. They confirmed that it was a bad coil, and that fixed the misfire. They cleared the P1618 using their Volvo equipment and the light hasn't come back on since. They also replaced the front right lower control arm as well so the car could pass inspection.

- Doug :-)