Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Should I rebuild my 01 XC70's engine?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I rebuild my 01 XC70's engine?

So I recently bought a 01 XC70 with 134,000 miles on it from a small dealership a little out of town.. as is. I test drove it, even took it to an independent local mechanic to have it looked at. It sounded good, the tranny shifted good, it was in perfect condition inside and out and even had a clean carfax report. Fast forward two days - I was driving it home down an old country road and a warning message came on "No oil pressure - stop engine asap" I pulled over right away and turned off the car. I checked the oil level which was fine and started the car and noticed a little knocking and the light was still on. I had it towed to my mechanic and, long story short, he found metal shavings in the oil pan and basically I have a crap engine...
Now I'm in the process of talking with the dealership to see what kind of recourse I have, if any... but I'm doubtful. Looks like Im stuck with a very beautiful, comfortable, safe paperweight. It sucks, but... I tend to be an optimist.
Looking forward, I'm considering changing the rod and main bearings myself to see if I can get any life out of this car. I've never torn down an engine that far before but I've replaced pretty much every major part on my old '87 244 and I'm pretty handy with a good set of tools and a copy of VADIS. I have access to a shop lift and engine stand.
My questions are, what am I potentially getting myself into to? Do I need to remove the engine to get to the aforementioned bearings? Any tips? And where, besides the dealer if I can avoid it, can I find parts?
I appreciate any help I can get!

Old 06-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi

Hi,
I do not know how severe the oil starvation is in your case but I suggest you to try to clean the lubrication system first, including the oil pump, oil pan / pick-up screen, valve cover oil passages etc. I have done this job a few times in Volvo engines with good results. See this link that shows a similar case: http://www.v-garage.ca/index.php?/Engine-lubrication