Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Tailgate Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate Noise

Okay, to go along with my recently purchased '98 XC70 and all the usual maintenance,I have taken off the back panel to my tailgate in an effort to stop the rattling noise I hear as a I drive. I did this to put on the repair kit, only to find out it has been done before. There were still two missing, so I put them on, but the tailgate still rattles. Finally I realized it seems that the door itself is a little loose and moves back and forth when I hit bumps or am driving on a rough road (which in Colo.Springs seems to be everywhere). Now, my tailgate does stay up, but it is starting to go. I have tried tightening the bolts that hold the latch to the door, but they were still tight. I have also checked to see if any parts are loose, but there doesn't seem to be. So my question is, would new struts do a better job of holding the tailgate closed and stop the rattling. It's not a sometimes rattle or barely noticeable. It's an outright noise that makes driving annoying. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Keith

Old 12-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tailgate Noise

When you close it, can you still move thetailgate a little?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:57 AM

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back about this issue. I can't move it from the outside, but from the inside, it moves front to back a bit. I put some little stops like the one glass sits on for a dinner table, on the tailgate stops. It has helped, but this is just a temporary fix. Someone mentioned being able to adjust the latch, how do I do that? Let me know if thereis anything else you need to know.

Keith

Old 12-13-2007, 09:56 AM

First make sure the seal around the door isn't compremised. There is also a protective sleave that goes around the pin that the latch engages, is it worn or missing. If neither, lift the 'trunk' lid on the floor and you will find 2 torx screws holding the latch pin bracket. Lossen them (they may need a little penetrating spray)and tap it in a bit, tighten them.That should do it.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:45 PM

Is the sleeve made of plastic and black? There was something on the part the tailgate latches to that looked messed up or broken. Will I have to replace the latch pin bracket because of this? Or is it something that can be fixed some other way? I looked into removing the latch pin bracket and was able to get one torx screw to come loose. The other one started to strip, so I'll have to spray something on it to get it loose.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:09 PM

Yes it is black, take the remains andwrap it on with a half dozen turns of black electrical tape, If it still rattles add more, that should work for a while.

BTW, How's Colorado Springs? I loved driving to the top of Pikes Peak.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:25 PM

I'll definitely give that a try. About how long will that work, or can I just order a new piece? I really appreciate all the help.

The Springs is amazing. We've just started having a lot of snow, a little late, but at least it's here.

Keith

Old 12-14-2007, 01:37 PM

It's just a bandaid, the latch will keep chewing it up (more tape occasionaly could work indefinitely)depends how often you use the door. I would think you could order a new one.

Garden of the Gods was great also. Yea, for snow, we just got some and more coming Saturday!