Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Timing Belt Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Change

I bought a 2000 XC70 from a dealer 2 years ago with adeal to have the timing belt changed for free after the purchase. when i took it for timing belt replacement, the mechanic repaced the belt used for the a/c (forgot what it called) and acted like that was what i wanted. When i questioned his work, he sad that i didn't need to change it yet because it was only at 76,000 miles. now i am at 86,000 miles and want to have it changed soon so i don't have to risk it breaking down (i don't have a warranty). The same mechanic swears up and down that i do not need to change it until 100,000 miles but cannot obviously be responsible if it breaks down. If i am asking him now and he still does not want to do it, am i crazy to think it should be done now? I could really use some advise because i need this car for my family and do not have any money for a new car or new engine.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Timing Belt Change

Will you be able to remove the top engine cover on the passenger side your self?

If so remove it and look at the belt.
If you see cracks in the belt it should be changed.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

It sounds like the belt your mechanic changed was the serpentine belt that runs the AC compressor, alternator, power steering pump, etc.

As for the timing belt, I just changed the one on my wifes 01 XC-70 myself. This car only had a bit over 60 K on it, but the belt was 6 years old! What I am saying is I do not think you are nuts for wanting the belt changed. If it is the original belt, it is around 7 years old. I believe any belt over 5 years old is in the window to be changed as heat and age can take a toll on belts and hoses. Some may disagree with me, but that is my feeling.

If your mechanic keeps balking at wanting to change it, find another mechanic or do it your self. It is not that difficult if you are handy with toold and can follow directions. One thought for why your mecjhanic keeps saying he does not want to change it is that he may not feel comfortable doing it. IF so, then by all means find someone else.

Bottom line, if it was my car, I would change the belt the tensioner, and the pulleys

Glenn

Old 02-05-2007, 05:25 AM

i would like to try to check the belt myself if opening it isn't too difficult. I did purchase that VADIS program from the internet and i have been able to login to it but i am not able to find steps on how to repair anything. i can only get as far as seeing a list of what needs repairs and how often (this what i already have my owners manual). I would really appreciate any assistance you guyd might have for me. i would love to be able to replace it on my own but this dealer mechanic owes it to me for free and if i am certain it needs to be done i just have to go to the service manager and get him to tell mechanic he has to do it. also do either of you know if ishould have the software upgrade done?

Old 02-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I would get the software upgarde done if your dealer/mechanic has the latest one.

Glenn

Old 02-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Have the upgrade done.
There is 2 T30 screws in the top cover by the passenger side of the car.
remove the screws and the top cover and inspect the belt.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:34 AM

Bottom line: if the dealership agreed to replace it for free further down the line then you have the right to get it replaced whenever you want. If the mechanic keeps giving you gruff, go the general manager, the salesman (if he's still there) and the finance guy who did the paperwork. If it's understood that that was the deal then it should be done when you say so, not them.