Volvo XC70 This wagon/SUV crossover offers the capabilities of an SUV without SUV size.

Why does my XC70 pull to the right??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my XC70 pull to the right??

My 2001 XC 70, (120,000 miles), pulls to the right and I can't find out why. Here is what has been done to date to rectify the problem:

- Front control arms replaced
- Right rear trailing link replaced
- Struts services - all four corners
- 4 wheel alignment performed, (twice by different shops)
- Tires changed
- Tires swapped side to side
- Brake calipers checked

Car still pulls to the right. I note a very slight difference in the degree of "pulling force" when accelerating; I attribute this to torque steer. When driving at speed, (60 - 70 mph), I note the same "pulling force" both when in gear and in neutral, (coasting). The "pulling force" is strong enough to pull from the left side of the road over the crown and into the right lane.

The dealership says it's a tire problem. If so, I wonder why the "pulling force" didn't change sides when the tires were swapped side for side.

I can't find anything loose in the suspension. The technicians who have performed the alignments say that the alignment is within specification. I can't see any evidence of prior crashes. All four brake calipers are free,

Does anyone have any ideas?

Steve

Old 04-13-2009, 07:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like the basics were covered. Are the tires new? Try rotating fronts to rear and see if it changes. If not then it could be in the braking system. Maybe the pads are seized in the mounts or the slides need cleaned and lubed.

Are there any noises the vehicle makes at road speed like a bearing hum or anything?

Old 04-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Default Thanks for the reply

Johnny,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

We swapped the tires from side to side when they were new, (two years ago), and did not see any change. I had the car on jack stands last week and all of the calipers seemed to be free, (i.e., the rotors would rotate freely; the pads weren't holding them. I can't see any abnormal wear on the rotors). I couldn't find any looseness in the suspension.

I'm wondering if I have some trouble in the drive line.

I should also say that I've owned this car for two years and 20,000 miles and I've experienced the problem since I bought it. The car pulled to the right when I test drove it, but I assumed that it was an alignment problem. I put new tires on the car as soon as I bought it and had it aligned. I was really surprised that it still pulled to the right after new tires and alignment.

I had a rattle under the right front that stopped when I installed the new control arms, (the bushings were shot). I can hear a whine from the rear end that sounds like a rear differential, (just started a couple of weeks ago.). That's about it for noises.

Could I have an internal problem with the all wheel drive that is causing torque to be sent unevenly to the wheels? What are your thoughts?

Steve

Old 04-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shailey
Does anyone have any ideas?
Who is doing your alignment? A volvo dealer or a tire shop? What are the actual alignment values?

Old 04-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Default V70 pulls to the right

Steve, did you ever get your problem resolved? I have the same issue with my 2002 v70. I have owned it since new, so I know that an accident is not the cause. starting around 40K miles, it started pulling to the right. I got new tires and had it aligned, but the problem persisted. I swapped the tires front to back with no effect. I then took it to the dealer, and they said that the front ball joints were bad, and replaced them under warranty, and then aligned it. Still pulled to right. They aligned it again, and when I said that it still pulled, they blamed the tires. So, I got a new set of tires, and had it aligned by the tire shop, but the problem persisted. I have noticed that on all of the tires, the front right tire has worn unevenly/more quickly than the others.

Steve, or anyone else know what is going on?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:13 PM

Sjonnie, I've had the alignment done twice by the local Volvo Dealer and twice by Firestone. Same results all four times. I'll post the alignment results when I have them with me next time. Steve

Old 04-14-2009, 12:15 PM

SamIam,

Sorry to hear that you're having the same problem that I am. I wish there was an answer. I've just about had it. I'll probably sell the XC and buy something else.

Steve

Old 05-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Default Volvo no longer pulls....

Well,

After three years, and half a dozen alignment attempts at various shops, Firestone in Midlothian VA has finally fixed the Volvo's alignment problem. Camber was out on both sides.

There is no factory adjustment for camber, so the local shop installed a set of "camber bolts" than provided a range of adjustment.

I suspect that the local Volvo dealer knew that there was an issue with camber. I also suspect that the local Volvo dealer did not disclose this issue for fear of future class action litigation or some other misplaced fear. I wish they had been honest with me rather than blaming the tires and costing me hundreds of dollars for a new set as a result. I'm selling my XC70, my fourth Volvo, and ending my relationship with the brand.

Old 10-06-2020, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by shailey
Well,

After three years, and half a dozen alignment attempts at various shops, Firestone in Midlothian VA has finally fixed the Volvo's alignment problem. Camber was out on both sides.

There is no factory adjustment for camber, so the local shop installed a set of "camber bolts" than provided a range of adjustment.

I suspect that the local Volvo dealer knew that there was an issue with camber. I also suspect that the local Volvo dealer did not disclose this issue for fear of future class action litigation or some other misplaced fear. I wish they had been honest with me rather than blaming the tires and costing me hundreds of dollars for a new set as a result. I'm selling my XC70, my fourth Volvo, and ending my relationship with the brand.

Hi I am having the same problem and gone through the same processes. In the highlighted text above - can you clarify "than" looks like a typo
installed a set of "camber bolts" than

then?
that?

installed a set of "new? or different kind of" "camber bolts" that could be adjusted?

The folks that did the alignment have told me that "Camber" is the issue but they have no way to adjust it!!
Take it to a mechanic.

Thanks Sri.

Old 10-07-2020, 08:10 AM
Received 585 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by sridharar
installed a set of "new? or different kind of" "camber bolts" that could be adjusted?
Yes something like these bolts, that allow the front camber to be adjusted

https://www.protuninglab.com/02-07-v...RoC6d0QAvD_BwE

Old 10-07-2020, 11:54 AM

Thanks Hoonk for the quick response. Very helpful. br Sri.

Old 10-07-2020, 12:19 PM

Ho Hoonk

I just spoke to my mechanic and relayed this information.
He looked at some pictures on his computer and tells me that for my car XC70 2011 T6 it will not work due to the way things are set up -- the wheel connected to struts in a different way - and no place to put the camber adjustment bolts.
Any tips? as you may be quite familiar about the context of my Volvo Year/Model.

I have more or less driving only VOLVOS for the past 20 + years and this is the first time I facing such an issue. I brought this used Volvo about a month ago - and due to Covid situation had give up some of my usual pre-purchase diligences. I just want to get the problem corrected -- assuming it is correctable reliably for reasonable cost.

Thanks in advance Sri.

Old 10-07-2020, 01:58 PM

XC70 2011 T6
Sorry the OP had a 2001, 2008+ the strut attachment is totally different.

What are the camber readings from your alignments? You could have a bent strut, I have seen many cause pulling to one side - You just purchased the car, is there any evidence of damage to the front end? You did not say which way it pulls - for instance if the top of the tire is hit on the left side, it can bend the left strut and cause the car to pull to the right.

Old 10-07-2020, 02:08 PM

Hoonk
Appreciate your indulgence here.
Yes I do have the alignment readings. I will take a picture and attach it in my next, soon.
The alignment shop did not notice or mention anything unusual with suspension systems in the form of "hits"
As far as I know the car was not involved in any accidents -- but that does not mean anything -- as string hit on a curb or something like that may have gone unreported.

The car pulls strongly to the right.
The alignment guys pointed that Camber is off - but they are unable to do any adjustment to it.
I am planning to take the car today/tomorrow to the shop (they are usually good and trustable - but a bit over zealous) so they can find a way to fix the camber.
Looks like it is a "non routine" situation.

regards Sri.

Old 10-07-2020, 03:46 PM

Hoonk
Appreciate your indulgence here.
Yes I do have the alignment readings. I will take a picture and attach it in my next, soon.
The alignment shop did not notice or mention anything unusual with suspension systems in the form of "hits"
As far as I know the car was not involved in any accidents -- but that does not mean anything -- as string hit on a curb or something like that may have gone unreported.

The car pulls strongly to the right.
The alignment guys pointed that Camber is off - but they are unable to do any adjustment to it.
I am planning to take the car today/tomorrow to the shop (they are usually good and trustable - but a bit over zealous) so they can find a way to fix the camber.
Looks like it is a "non routine" situation.

regards Sri.

Hoonk here is the alignment report. I truly appreciate your indulgence and wisdom. Regards Sri.

Old 10-07-2020, 09:54 PM

Your left front camber is greater than the right front camber - meaning the left wheel is tilted in at the top further than the right - that will make the car drift to the right. Kind of like leaning on a bicycle -

If the tire was hit near the top, you can easily bend a strut - unfortunately, unless the subframe, control arm, spindle or the strut tower is bent from an accident - that's about the only choice. And the strut is the weakest link - I would look for a crease in the strut housing near where it is clamped into the spindle indicating it was bent - sometimes you can't see the bend until you get the strut out of the car - .

The following users liked this post:
sridharar (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 10:00 PM

Thanks Hoonk for the the detailed guidance. I can speak a bit more intelligently to the mechanic to effect appropriate rigor on his part, tomorrow.
Will keep you posted. regards Sri.

Old 10-09-2020, 02:25 PM

Hoonk

I had taken the car to an auto shop yesterday with no happy result.

The mechanic told me the same thing you told me - that the Camber is not adjustable.
Probably I have to replace the front struts -- and on my further discussions with him, he said it may not fix the issue.
I asked him how to ensure that the existing Strut or new Strut is exactly in the "vertical or required" orientation it needs to be for the right Camber.
He said he has no way to ensure that - he can only put in a new strut.
So my concern is that if something is "off" in the mount fixtures, new strut is simply not going to correct the situation.

I wonder how Volvo handles and adjusts orientation at the time of manufacturing. As there will be always "tolerance and consequent variations" in the parts.

Any other tips for how to get this problem resolved reliably -- rather than try-and-see methods. I have already spent $300 in vain.
The struts job has an estimate of $750!

The option of just living with the problem and reconciling with tire wear issue is becoming more attractive - at least for now.

Thanks Sri.

Old 10-09-2020, 03:01 PM

He said he has no way to ensure that - he can only put in a new strut.
That is true - usually the bent strut is obvious once you get it off - but you are only off a couple of degrees - If you are going to replace them I would use the factory parts (or the factory manufacturer) versus some aftermarket brand. The aftermarket might not have the same ride characteristics as the factory part.