Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 2.5t 39k miles what service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 2.5t 39k miles what service?

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have leased my XC90 since new and am now considering buying it off the lease. I have 39k miles and the car has been pretty trouble free since new except for a faulty speaker that the dealer can never seem to find at fault whenever I bring it in and a Nav system that periodically shows I am in the middle of the atlantic ocean for 1-2 days at a time then suddenly resolves itself, again the dealer can never reproduce the defect.
I am considering purchasing the car. What maintenance should I do at 40K miles? Is the extended warranty worthwhile that is offered via 3rd party for an extra 3 yrs at around $1400 with $50 deductable per incident.
Also lug nuts are totally rusted since the 2nd year of ownership (garaged vehicle). Want the dealer to fix radio speaker and lug nuts before buying but why should he care since the deal was done with Chase finance and he already got paid 4 years ago even though I have it in my files each time for service radio and Nav problems.
Thoughts from the forum?

Old 05-24-2007, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '04 2.5t 39k miles what service?

I stongly recommend the extended warranty if you plan on keeping it much longer than the original 50K warranty. If you do, get one that covers all your electronics (HU, NAV, CD/DVD, etc.) since these are likely to fail at some point (just like PCs) and replacement cost forany of these could easilybe more than your extended warranty premium. Mechanical items such as transmission could cost you in excess of $5K to replace. We gotthe comprehensive extended 100K warranty from the dealer when we purchased our XC90 new - about $2300 incl. all electronics (prorated refund if you sell beforethe extended warrantyexpires). We've had bad experiences in the past(i.e. our 2002 Ford Explorer cost us of over $3K in several "minor" repairs after3 year/35K warranty expired). Also consider extended warranty programs offered byauto insurance companies. I think Geico has a programwhere you don't start paying the premiums until the original warranty expires.

Regardingthe speakers - let's face it - the Volvo speakers aren't that good [:'(]- notexactly Bosequality.There are several postings on this Forum and www.swedspeed.com about this issue andI read several postings from owners who replaced with better speakers for less than $200 (installed). We are having intermittent vibration problems with the front side window/mirror speakers - the clips seem to come undone.

The lugnuts would likely not be a warranty item and you can pick these up anywhere for next to nothing. All the best to you