Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 to 08 Side View Mirror Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 to 08 Side View Mirror Retrofit

I brought my 06 XC90 in for service and was given a 08 XC90 to drive. One thing that I liked was the side view mirrors that have interior lights to tell you when someone is on the side of you (and not to change lanes) as well as turn signals incorporated. I asked the salesman if I can buy the newer mirrors and put them on my 06, he said it couldn't be done but I don't believe there isn't a way, anyone try this???? Any info?

Old 09-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Default RE: 06 to 08 Side View Mirror Retrofit

The 2006 is not wired for the new mirrors.New options are typicaly never backwards compatible to older models. so even if the new mirrors would fit size wise (same brackets, etc.) you would have to rewire your XC90 including new computers, controller, etc. You would be better off trading your XC90 for a newer model with the options you like. I just tried the new XC60 in Norway and recommend you wait until you've checked it out (expected to arrive the US in March 2009).

Old 09-29-2008, 09:45 AM

That's what the salesman told me BUT my reply is this: The newer mirrors have the side sensors built into them as well as the light which is on the interior cabin cover. To me, it seems that the system may not be wired into the computer of the car but rather is drawing from a power source and receiving signals (cars) and sending electrical impulses (interior light). I thought that if the brackets worked, I could hook up the new mirrors' integrated turn signals into my current turn signal wires and wire the side sensors/interior lights into a hot "on when car on"fuse and it may work. The 2008 XC-90 I drove did not give any warning signals, slow down, beep, or flash any warnings when I tried to change lanes and the interior mirror lights were illuminated (notifiying that a car was on my side), indicating to me that theECU may not be involved.To me it seemed that this was a "fancy" system to the naked eye but a cost effective one to Volvo when one took a close look at it. I may very well be wrong. Any thoughts?

Old 09-30-2008, 06:01 AM

Hi,

Your referring to the BLIS system Volvo has for indicating a vehicle is in the blind spot.I saw it at the dealership and I like it too, incidentally!

While your reasoning about how to wire it up "sounds" feasible (my long-ago electronics training talking), you may be overlooking some of the built-in safeties.

I would assume that Volvo's factory installation of the BLIS includes a safety provision in the event of a receiver or transmitter failure so that the on board monitoring systems would indicate in some way that it's not working and to have it serviced. You can confirm this with your dealership salesman or the service department.

Moving on to your idea, would your DIY retrofit provide such an indication? The reason I ask is that once you get it working you will most likely come to depend and rely on using it instead of looking over your shoulder to change lanes.

Should your retrofit solutionfail (for any reason) are you willing to accept the liability for running someone off the road, creating an accident, or at worst, injuring yourself or others? That Volvo will not stand behind you should something happen is not even a discussion point, be it an accident or just frying the electrical / electronics.

You asked for thoughts, so that's my fairly conservative 2 cents worth. I wouldn't monkey with something like that personally. If you need the option that badly, consider a trade-in. Given the way car sales are going these days maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.