Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 XC90 T6 - AWD not engaging!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 PM
png
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 XC90 T6 - AWD not engaging!

Hi Guys!

I have what is apparently a more common problem with my '04 T6 XC90 than most Volvo owners know. Basically the AWD does not engage and I get heaps of funky front wheelspin in the snow this time of year in Salt Lake. I have read various articles online for around 2 weeks and have made checks as summarized below:

1. Differential Electronic Module (DEM) boot: many people have had problems with wear and tear of this boot causing sensors to malfunction the Haldex to not engage. My boot appears intact. All electrical connections to and withing the DEM appear clean

2. Haldex oil level is OK? When I pulled out the DEM pressure sensor for a second there was clean oil dripping from the hole so I am assuming that there is sufficient coil present. I have notice no leaks on the garage floor and the AWD was working last winter after Volvo replaced the DEM pressure sensor.

3. DEM pressure sensor wasreplaced<1yr ago by Volvo Stealer and looks to be in good shape after removing the DEM cover plate. I can't test it though but I have no DTC codes stored so I am assuming it is still good. Not sure if this assumption is valid.

4. Bevel/Angle gear checkedout OK in that propeller shaft turns when front wheels are turning

Therefore I believe the problem is now isolated to the rear-end (DEM and Haldex AOC coupling). Does anyone know what else I can test or do from here rather than going back to my Volvo Stealer? I believe the DEM is a $1200 part!Are there any checks a home mechanic can do on the DEM or Haldex to isolate the problem further? Would anyone try replacing the DEM pressure sensor again (1 year old) even though no codes are stored?

Thanks for all your help!

Perry