Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 XC90 T6, Need help getting oil pan (sump) off

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 XC90 T6, Need help getting oil pan (sump) off

Hey y'all. I am not a car DIY person so please don't take offense to my lack of knowledge when I identify parts.

Its an '04 with 140K. I got the "no oil pressure" warning a few days ago. I had plenty of oil so its not for lack of oil. I searched through forums and found plenty of ideas on solutions. I am starting with replacing the gaskets and seals (got the kit from Volvo dealer) and cleaning out any sludge in the sump, holes, ports, tubes, whatever is in there. I have gotten everything unbolted with two problems, (1) the oil dip stick tube will not come out and (2) I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME get the sump (the pan) to drop out.

I removed the oil cap on engine and removed dipstick. I removed the bolt retaining the dipstick tube. I removed the oil drain plug (and drained the oil). I then removed the filter housing and filter. I then took that thing off the side of the sump that has the four star bolts. I removed the transmission mount. I removed all the bolts. I removed two retaining bolts for some silver pipe to try and move it out of the way (fuel line maybe?). I did not remove the tires or wheel well guard or lift the engine up or anything like that....please don't tell me i HAVE to...

I cannot get the dip stick tube off. Should I be able to just pull it out or does it screw off? And more importantly I cant get the pan to drop. Pulling down on the driver side it starts to drop (gets about halfway) and gets stuck on the transmission. When I try to drop the passenger side there are silver lines/tubes in the way which don't seem to move very much. I can pull it down, push it over, shake it, I even yelled at it a few times, but in the end it wouldn't drop.

There you go. Please hit me with your solutions or questions.

Here are some pics of the lines that are in the way and pics of the tip of the sump that is hitting the tranny case.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 XC90 T6, Need help getting oil pan (sump) off-volvo13.jpg   2004 XC90 T6, Need help getting oil pan (sump) off-volvo11.jpg   2004 XC90 T6, Need help getting oil pan (sump) off-volvo6.jpg   2004 XC90 T6, Need help getting oil pan (sump) off-volvo4.jpg  
Old 01-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Its been a while since I've done one on a T6, but I think the subframe has to be lowered to get the pan out.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:26 PM

well, not to sound dumb, but is that as simple as unbolting it all the way, just a little all around for slack, or something else? What about the engine and transmission - or whatever else may be affected by me lowering the subframe?

Old 01-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure you'll need to unbolt the front subframe bolts entirely and loosen the rear ones all the way, then lower the front as much as you can.

It isn't hard when you have a lift, but on your back it can be a pain.

It isn't just a matter of the subframe bolts. Theres the motor mounts, power steering pipes, a couple clips for other things and you'll probably have to remove the bolts for the rack.

At a dealer, we use a special tool that holds the engine and transmission from above when doing something like that.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:06 PM

Great. I should stick with just changing the brake pads. :-). I got laid off so taking it to the dealer/mechanic wasn't really an option. And of course I starting with the mind set of "it's just dropping the oil pan. That isn't too difficult" I guess when it's a European car everything is complicated.

I'll try to jack up the car onto ramps. I'll loosen the subframe as you said. Then attempt to push the engine up a little with a jack.

Thanks for the replies so far. Job interviews on Monday so I need to get this car running.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well dropping the subframe will work but to how do you plan to lift the engine if you are trying to take the oil pan off?

Old 01-05-2014, 02:07 PM

great question. I have no idea yet. Perhaps positioning a small jack under an engine mount? or some other easy to reach spot like that? I'm guessing obviously. I am getting under the car now to see what I can do.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:22 PM

I know this is going to sound a bit crazy but I've had to do it a couple of times with the new 3.2l oil pans but you can try raising the engine using the left axle. Just put a piece of wood between the jack and the axle. Don't do it for long though so you don't damage anything.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:27 PM

OK - i loosened the driver side subframe bolts with about inch slack. I removed the left hand side altogether. The XC is raised slightly on each side of the car on jack stands, to give me a little more room. I put a small jack with wood planks under the tranny pan to support it. It is pressed against the pan firmly but not jacking it up any.

That subframe doesnt just drop. :-( I assume the wheels/axles are keeping it in place.

So you are suggesting jacking the car up via the front axle. Can I assume by placing the jack here (See picture) with a block of wood the engine will raise a little with the subframe bolts off? Do I need to loosen any engine mount bolts? Are they obviously located if so?

Attached Thumbnails 2004 XC90 T6, Need help getting oil pan (sump) off-volvo-arm.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 04:36 PM

Here are a couple photos. (1) I removed the LH side bolt for subframe, front and back. and (2) the bolt I am pointing to, does that need to be loosened too?

Attached Thumbnails 2004 XC90 T6, Need help getting oil pan (sump) off-vol2.jpg   2004 XC90 T6, Need help getting oil pan (sump) off-vol1.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

What about the motor mounts? I also forgot to mention the sway bar links in my post above.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:10 PM

i guess i just unbolt everything until i get it out. UGH.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:58 PM

FINALLY got the stupid sump off. What a nightmare. I was so excited only to have my spirit crushed again by the looks of things. There are a lot of shavings in there (see pic). What does this mean? There was a small ticking noise coming from the engine. Does this mean a bearing is bad or something? Obviously with the sump off I can see into the engine - but have NO idea what I am looking for. I feel like a kid who has been giving the keys to the space shuttle. So much I dont know. But I continue to read and learn and will look to y'all for direct feedback.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 XC90 T6, Need help getting oil pan (sump) off-sump-shavings.jpg  
Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Most likely a bad rod bearing but that can come from many places in the motor

Old 01-08-2014, 06:35 PM

so did you have to drop the sub frame to get it out?

Old 01-09-2014, 09:09 AM

Yes, dropped the subframe. Made an engine lift/holder out of a 4x4 and eye hooks. Then unbolted everything I could find under there until subframe dropped enough for me to get it out. I still had to fight to get it out because of the pick-up tube.

Here is a question, where do the new gaskets go? I bought the o-ring kit from volvo and there are a few gaskets in there. I see the o-rings I need to replace, but i see no gaskets.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

The kit has more than you need. There are two o-rings between the block and pan, the pickup tube o-ring, o-rings on the oil cooler transfer pipe and the dipstick tube o-ring. You'll also need the oil cooler o-rings as they don't come in the kit. Then of course the anaerobic sealer for the pan.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:09 AM
Old 01-10-2014, 09:19 PM

All done. All o-rings in and all buttoned up. Pressure is fine, plenty of oil, but there is a knocking noise. Perhaps damage when the oil pressure originally dropped? Sounds like it is coming from the top. Scared to drive it anywhere now. Thoughts?

Last edited by jamieheath; 01-10-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:41 PM

not sure it works for your vehicle but remove plugs and push down on pistons when past the tdc to feel for any play in the rod bearings

Quick Reply: 2004 XC90 T6, Need help getting oil pan (sump) off