Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 XC90 3.2 not charging

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 XC90 3.2 not charging

Need some help from the good folks here. A while back I started a tread here about my XC90 having an intermittent light. The post has since gone dead so I'm starting a new one with new issues. Originally I was getting a battery/charge light now and then. Cycle the ignition off then on and light was gone and charges fine. Over the months it started happening more frequently. Eventually my daughter had it to bring it to school so she could bring her belongings back from school. Well, she broke down on the way home. Dead battery and 3 hours of being stuck on the side of the highway, AAA's towing service never showed up.

I was able to jump it, get it home and drive it back and fourth to work (40 miles) without issue. Just recently, the light started coming on frequently. I know it was time. I ordered a reman Pure Energy alternator from Rockauto.com
I broke my butt getting it in. Started the car and within 30 seconds the charge light came on and does it every time you start it. start up, charge at 13v and drops over the next 30 seconds.This is a different symptom than the original. I am guessing the alternator is bad out of the box or may have the wrong regulator in it.

Not sure what to do next??? Either order a new voltage regulator and install it in the old alternator or buy a reman Bosch alternator at $250. My only concern with buying a Bosch reman is that in their description, they advertise the regulator is only replaced if needed?? I don't feel good about this at all!!! This job is way too much of a pain in the *** to do over and over as this will be round 2!. Don't understand why Bosch just doesn't just go ahead and install new regulators in their remans? Obviously the alternator they are re manufacturing failed. The regulator is the #1 cause failure in an alternator.

So my questions are do I replace the alternator with Bosch reman, aftermarket new or just replace the voltage regulator? I'm not trying to cheap out, I just dont want to do the job a 3rd time. My other question is does anyone here suspect a problem other than the alternator? Maybe the ECM? Would love to hear what anyone has to say.

Oh by the way. I went through this in my daughters 2010 BMW 328XI. I had installed 3 new (not reman) aftermarket alternators only to have problems on all 3 within weeks or days of installation. Someone on a BMW forum said DO NOT use an aftermarket alternator! It will fail for sure. I replaced with a used OEM from a salvage yard and its been well over a year with no issues.

I had my own repair shop for 23 years and have received bad alternators and starters right out of the box, numerous times!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By the way the battery is roughly 8 months old and has tested fully charged and in 100% health.

Last edited by Franksauto; 06-29-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced with OEM Bosch re manufactured and all seems to be fine. Its been 3 days and no battery light. I think I have learned my lesson. No more aftermarket on European cars!