Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 XC90 back up camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 06:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 XC90 back up camera

Hi, I have this Volvo with backup camera and navigation system. Currently my navi works fine, but when I put it in reverse, only the top half of the screen is visible with the bottom half of the screen all green. The camera was replaced for troubleshooting purposes, but it wasn't the camera. The new one did the same thing. Volvo put some time into it to find the answer but haven't found out yet what is causing this issue. Any ideas?
I included an attachment if it was successful. Forgot to mention, the parameter error does go away and only the screen is the same without the text. I heard today they ordered a cable for testing.

thanks,

Paul

Attached Thumbnails 2010 XC90 back up camera-20150119_160312.jpg  
Old 09-11-2017, 08:31 AM

got the same issue, have you already figuered out what it was?

Old 05-24-2020, 02:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same problem

Got the same problem. Have u managed to fix it?

The following users liked this post:
Morten Næs (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 12:28 PM
Default I have the same problem

Volvo replaced the camera without solving it. Any other suggestions ?

Old 12-24-2021, 09:06 AM

I have the same thing. 2010 xc90. Lower part is green, text is visible and lines are visible and move with steering wheel, nav works just fine. I'm trying different solutions. I am going to keep you posted on my findings because this is the only online thread I can find discussing this issue. It must be rare. I have found two possible issues.
I turn the key forward but don't crank, I put the car in reverse to activate the camera so I can test it live. Chock tires for safety. The camera and the camera control module looks like they have been wet. The camera uses a firewire cable back to the module. It was contaminated. I cleaned it with circuit board cleaner. No change. Took apart the camera to inspect, looks good. The module appears to also have power and RGB. It is located in the rear diver side pocket with the fuses and tail light access. It's a small aluminum box. Mine was lying loose deep in the pocket where it may have been introduced to moisture. I removed the screws and cleaned everything. The board, connection and the box. The box had some corrosion but the board looked clean. The connections were very dirty but after cleaning and wiggling them a bit it made no difference. Not even a flicker. I believe the module is bad.
I would say it's the camera but if a dealer installed a new camera on yours with no change and the nav works then the weak link is the module. They are very expensive ($500-$600) but I'm going to take a chance on an ebay find. The part number is:

It looks like the xc60 module is identical but has a different part number. Even used ones are expensive and a little rare. It's possible that a third party camera with RGB out may work but I don't know. There are aftermarket kits that fit in the tag light. You would loose the lines I assume.

Last edited by clab04; 12-24-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-28-2021, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by clab04
I have the same thing. 2010 xc90. Lower part is green, text is visible and lines are visible and move with steering wheel, nav works just fine. I'm trying different solutions. I am going to keep you posted on my findings because this is the only online thread I can find discussing this issue. It must be rare. I have found two possible issues.
I turn the key forward but don't crank, I put the car in reverse to activate the camera so I can test it live. Chock tires for safety. The camera and the camera control module looks like they have been wet. The camera uses a firewire cable back to the module. It was contaminated. I cleaned it with circuit board cleaner. No change. Took apart the camera to inspect, looks good. The module appears to also have power and RGB. It is located in the rear diver side pocket with the fuses and tail light access. It's a small aluminum box. Mine was lying loose deep in the pocket where it may have been introduced to moisture. I removed the screws and cleaned everything. The board, connection and the box. The box had some corrosion but the board looked clean. The connections were very dirty but after cleaning and wiggling them a bit it made no difference. Not even a flicker. I believe the module is bad.
I would say it's the camera but if a dealer installed a new camera on yours with no change and the nav works then the weak link is the module. They are very expensive ($500-$600) but I'm going to take a chance on an ebay find. The part number is:

It looks like the xc60 module is identical but has a different part number. Even used ones are expensive and a little rare. It's possible that a third party camera with RGB out may work but I don't know. There are aftermarket kits that fit in the tag light. You would loose the lines I assume.

Thanks for the reply! I am looking forward to your findings!

Best regards
Morten

Old 12-28-2021, 03:16 PM

Talked to Volvo service. Thankfully they have seen it before. Fix is either new camera or software update. They said 50% of the time it's the camera that solves it and 50% of the time it's the software. I'm going to get the software because it's $150. If that doesn't fix it then I'll buy a camera online. They want $400 for the camera.

Old 01-28-2022, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by clab04
Talked to Volvo service. Thankfully they have seen it before. Fix is either new camera or software update. They said 50% of the time it's the camera that solves it and 50% of the time it's the software. I'm going to get the software because it's $150. If that doesn't fix it then I'll buy a camera online. They want $400 for the camera.
Hello, I have the same problem in my Volvo XC90. Unfortunately I've tried both solutions. Firstly i bought new camera but it nothing helps. Today I've visit our local magician in Volvo issues, he mede software update but it also didn't solve the problem.

Old 07-21-2022, 08:59 AM

Yeah, I found a new camera cheap and it didn't work. I've been really busy and put it on the back burner. Trying to dig in on the issue again.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mats89
Hello, I have the same problem in my Volvo XC90. Unfortunately I've tried both solutions. Firstly i bought new camera but it nothing helps. Today I've visit our local magician in Volvo issues, he mede software update but it also didn't solve the problem.
******SOLVED******
I was able to make an offer on a used camera control module on ebay for $100. Part# 31296558. Located in the driver side taillight area.
Works great! No need to reprogram. I noticed that Valeo made these for BMW, Ford and several other models of Volvo's like the xc60 and xc70...etc. I don't know if they will work. I made an offer on one from a xc60 but it was declined. People want way too much for these things. I'm thinking about contacting Valeo and see if they have any information regarding factory repair and cost.