Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 XC90 Door Won't Unlock

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 XC90 Door Won't Unlock

We're now on our 3rd problem with our XC90 since buying it new 10 months ago. Tonight when my daughter tried to get out of the car, the 2nd row passenger-side door wouldn't open. We thought the child lock was on so pushed the button to disable it. But it still wouldn't open. I went around the car and tried to open it from the outside and it still wouldn't open. We've turned the car off and on again multiple times, locked and unlocked the other doors, tried to hold in the little lock button on the door since the light is showing on, but it won't turn off. The door is locked and won't open. Any ideas?

Old 04-07-2019, 09:10 AM
Cool Same issue

Hi,
Just wondering what the fix was or if you had to go to dealer. Have the exact same issue with our XC90 now.

Thanks.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by VolvoinIL
Hi,
Just wondering what the fix was or if you had to go to dealer. Have the exact same issue with our XC90 now.

Thanks.
we are experiencing the same issue on our 2016 XC90. Any ideas?

The following users liked this post:
Robert.S (12-06-2020)
Old 09-07-2019, 12:37 PM
Default Any update?

I’ve just experiences this on my brand new, two week old 2019 xc90. Not happy. What fixed it for you?

Originally Posted by Mdaus
we are experiencing the same issue on our 2016 XC90. Any ideas?

Old 10-14-2019, 11:30 AM
Default Updates?

Has the OP or any of the subsequent replies had this fixed and know what the issue was?

Old 11-03-2019, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by VolvoinIL
Hi,

Thanks.
Hi did you get this fixed we have the same problem 🙄

Old 11-03-2019, 02:33 PM
Default Actuator

I had a similar issue on my 2012 S60. Except I couldn’t get the door to close. The issue was the door locking actuator. I had the dealership put on a new one and it worked just fine after that.

Old 11-25-2019, 02:32 PM
Default Same problem

Hi, the same problem here - XC90 2016 - may I know how did you solved the problem? Not able to open from outside nor inside, wondering if software upgrade might help, or if latches must be replaced... Thank you a lot!

Originally Posted by coredwar
We're now on our 3rd problem with our XC90 since buying it new 10 months ago. Tonight when my daughter tried to get out of the car, the 2nd row passenger-side door wouldn't open. We thought the child lock was on so pushed the button to disable it. But it still wouldn't open. I went around the car and tried to open it from the outside and it still wouldn't open. We've turned the car off and on again multiple times, locked and unlocked the other doors, tried to hold in the little lock button on the door since the light is showing on, but it won't turn off. The door is locked and won't open. Any ideas?

Old 12-02-2019, 01:39 PM

I am having the same issue now. Dealer is telling me I need a new latch which is going to run my $900. Crazy...

Old 12-02-2019, 01:59 PM
Default Solved

Hi, I fixed the problem on one of rear doors - I just removed the panel from inside, and then use WD40 to grease the lock, and it works (without changing expensive lock).
I am going to fix also another doors, which would take me much shorter time.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:32 AM
Default XC90 rear doors won’t open

Hi, has anyone managed to resolve this issue? We have a 2016 XC90 and the rear doors are not opening. Feels like a software issue.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 12-10-2019, 01:59 PM

Same issue on my 2016 XC90, passenger side rear door. Child lock on and door won’t open from outside.
I took the door panel off and removed about 12 bolts from the moulded black plastic panel but I could not actually remove it or get far enough into the door to see the locking mechanism.
Some wild spraying of WD40 had no effect.

XC90 rear passenger door. Two screws threaded from the other side appear to prevent me from removing this moulded black panel.

I rang my local independent Volvo approved garage and they will see it on Thursday. I got the sense that they do not know how they will tackle it. They have ordered a new door lock in preparation, but I wonder how they will get the door open in the first place.
The garage is going to do the recent recall campaign work at the same time.

Adam

Robert.S (12-08-2020)
Old 12-18-2019, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by ABxc90
Same issue on my 2016 XC90, passenger side rear door. Child lock on and door won’t open from outside.
I took the door panel off and removed about 12 bolts from the moulded black plastic panel but I could not actually remove it or get far enough into the door to see the locking mechanism.

XC90 rear passenger door. Two screws threaded from the other side appear to prevent me from removing this moulded black panel.

I rang my local independent Volvo approved garage and they will see it on Thursday. I got the sense that they do not know how they will tackle it. They have ordered a new door lock in preparation, but I wonder how they will get the door open in the first place.

Adam
So did they fix the problem? What was it? Have same problem.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:56 AM

The Volvo garage fixed it, apparently with some difficulty removing the door card etc. They replaced the lock and it works perfectly now.
I had an independent warranty with MotorEasy. Unfortunately I had somehow picked a warranty programme that only covers breakdowns where the car has to be recovered - a failed door lock was therefore not covered. I have since upgraded the warranty...
The garage initially quoted around £500 to fix it, but managed to secure a decent contribution of around 60% from Volvo. Perhaps Volvo felt it was a safety issue (it is) and that it shouldn’t have failed on a 3.5 year old car (it shouldn’t).

Let us know how you get on with yours.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:32 AM

The probem was that some kind of door lock nut was realeased by itself.
It was quite problematic to reach it from inside, because door was closed.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mishkop
Hi, I fixed the problem on one of rear doors - I just removed the panel from inside, and then use WD40 to grease the lock, and it works (without changing expensive lock).
I am going to fix also another doors, which would take me much shorter time.
Really interested how you managed to reach the lock from the inside to grease it. You can see in my earlier post I removed as much of the inner door panel as I could, but you can’t access the actual door lock. I have no idea how the garage did it.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by ABxc90

Adam
Hi,
Those screws that you noticed that are screwed in from the other side are the fasteners for the window regulator. You need to remove the speaker, lower the window so you can reach the window clip through the speaker hole, open it up with your fingers and pull the window up. That allows you to mostly free the inner panel. You also need to remove the outer door handle and the screw visible on the outside of the door once the outer door handle is off. You also need to remove the 3 torx screws that holds the door latch/lock itself. Once that is done you should be able to slide the inner panel a little up and forward to release it.

Last edited by sleipner; 02-04-2020 at 10:15 PM. Reason: additional information
tco_tm (01-14-2022)
Old 05-01-2020, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by sleipner
Hi,
Those screws that you noticed that are screwed in from the other side are the fasteners for the window regulator. You need to remove the speaker, lower the window so you can reach the window clip through the speaker hole, open it up with your fingers and pull the window up. That allows you to mostly free the inner panel. You also need to remove the outer door handle and the screw visible on the outside of the door once the outer door handle is off. You also need to remove the 3 torx screws that holds the door latch/lock itself. Once that is done you should be able to slide the inner panel a little up and forward to release it.
Exactly the same problem as everyone: both rear doors are locked inside and out.

Sleipner, thank you for your advice. I managed to take off the outer panel but stuck on the inner panel and have no idea what to do after it's taken out how to disengage the lock. To be honest, i don't have the confidence in taking down the window and taking off the lock, so some a bit more detail would really help.

Can some clever person provide a guide or a video to show how to fix it?
I'm based in London, so if someone know of a garage that can fix it for less than the £1k Volvo is asking me for, can you recommend them? It's getting to be very frustrating, for an expensive two-seater.

Old 11-22-2020, 03:36 AM
Default More of the same....

I’ve also had my 2016 XC90 for 10 months and the right hand side rear door will not open form the outside or inside. I really want to like this car it but its not easy when it’s had more things go wrong and more time being fixed by the dealer than any other car I’ve ever owned.

Assuming that only a tiny proportion of people that have a problem ever post on a forum about it, just how many people have experienced this problem? Should this not be a recall issue? Moderator?

Old 11-22-2020, 04:00 AM

I agree that even if it doesn’t warrant a recall, it should be fixed free of charge or with a significant Volvo contribution. I apparently got a 60% contribution which took the edge off the original quote. I now have an aftermarket warranty with Motoreasy which should cover this and anything else.
Sorry to hear you have had other problems with the car. Perhaps I have been lucky but mine has been otherwise problem-free and I still absolutely love it, 3+ years into ownership.

Quick Reply: 2016 XC90 Door Won't Unlock