Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 XC90 Door Won't Unlock

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 09:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Update

Originally Posted by Davidstel
Volvo UK sent me this message earlier, Doves Croydon close in three weeks, no mention of liability etc but I have to hope they will take some responsibility for me being locked out of a car that is less than 5 years old and was nearly £50k when new.

The car is now with Doves Croydon, recovered there by Volvo Assist. We'll wait to see what happens next.

The following users liked this post:
Robert.S (02-04-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 04:16 PM
Default All fixed, but at a price 😕

Doves Volvo to be fair did their best. Volvo UK, not so much.

Long story short Doves quoted £600 to replace the drivers door lock which luckily they had in stock. They approached Volvo UK for a goodwill contribution and nothing, inspite of the car being less than 5 years old. I rejected their offer of nothing and Doves went back and were offered dealer match so Doves agreed 15% and VUK matched it. I have an aftermarket warranty not Volvo, Doves spoke to them and they agreed to pay all bar £90 which I had to pony up. I feel I got off lightly overall mainly cos I bought a aftermarket warranty as frankly I don't trust the build quality of this car and I had a lot of issues early on when it was still under Volvo warranty. Volvo UK were, IMO disgraceful. They've probably lost a customer, this is my third Volvo and I think the build quality is dropping significantly.

Robert.S (02-15-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had this issue on several 2016 onwards xc90s. It's a problem with water ingress into the locking mechanism which causes internal corrosion and inevitably seizure.
To open the door and change the mechanism is too much of an ordeal, just a little tight and awkward.
However, Volvo UK are giving a substantial contribution towards the cost which works out cheaper than doing it yourself at the moment.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:36 AM

Volvo UK initially offered nothing, ended up at 15% of the total cost. Absolutely pathetic, they need to try harder.

Old 02-20-2021, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Hopefully a DIY fix

Hi there, same issue on a 2015 XC90. Rear door not opening, I'm going to attempt a fix tomorrow with the following information below.

removing the door card - Yes this door is open but give you an idea of whats going on :

I am hoping this is a similar lock to the XC90, it cant be that difference so going to give this a go tomorrow.

Also second hand Mk2 XC90 door locks are on ebay for about £80

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-XC9...wAAOSwjxdgCsQS

Old 02-20-2021, 05:26 PM

Good luck with the repair. As of today I appear to have the same issue, less than two weeks after the drivers door packed up now the NS rear door has given up the ghost. Will call Volvo on Monday and get things moving. Shame my local dealer has now closed, closest is now 10 miles away.

Old 02-21-2021, 05:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I got the door open

Door is open, took about 30 mins, its a bit of a fiddle.

OK! update, after a cuppa tea I shut the door and tried to see if it would work and the door is opening fine from the outside handle. shut and opened it about ten times. Also opening from the inside handle.

This appears to be more a latching problem with the door mechanism. As above and discussed when the handle is pulled at the wrong time as the car is being unlocked it must jump out of place.

the lock is fine, going to check all the possibles with locking and unlocking and will put back together.

This afternoon will be a small talk to the children about touching the door handle before Daddy says you can😂

Have a go if you are really stuck and your cars is over 5 years old, or not willing to pay for the repair.

I’ll try and upload the video this evening to YouTube and attach here.

Last edited by shread; 02-21-2021 at 06:44 AM.
Robert.S (02-21-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 06:53 AM

Hi Shread,
Thanks a lot for the photos, my friend have the same issue with XC90 2016, and Volvo France basically told him that not their fault and will not help a penny.

Can you please upload the video you have - will be much appreciated. The friend of mine is having his both doors blocked, and really needs to understand how to unlock them without breaking too much

Thank you very much!
Anton

Old 03-27-2021, 05:33 PM
Default Same issue... Fix please??

Originally Posted by shread
Door is open, took about 30 mins, its a bit of a fiddle.

OK! update, after a cuppa tea I shut the door and tried to see if it would work and the door is opening fine from the outside handle. shut and opened it about ten times. Also opening from the inside handle.

This appears to be more a latching problem with the door mechanism. As above and discussed when the handle is pulled at the wrong time as the car is being unlocked it must jump out of place.

the lock is fine, going to check all the possibles with locking and unlocking and will put back together.

This afternoon will be a small talk to the children about touching the door handle before Daddy says you can😂

Have a go if you are really stuck and your cars is over 5 years old, or not willing to pay for the repair.

I’ll try and upload the video this evening to YouTube and attach here.

I have the same issue (Rear Right) on a 2017 XC90 T6 R-Design.

Thanks to above posts, I got the door panel off and broke-off the top corner of the plastic covering (similar to above photo) to get to the latch mechanism.

I’m just stuck and can’t figure out how to get the electronic latch to release. I’ve tried everything but no luck

Has anyone figured out or has a photo/video they can post to highlight this last step?

once I figure it out, I’ll post the DIY steps with video/photos and link it here for everyone else’s benefit.

Thank you!!

Old 09-28-2021, 09:05 PM

Shread, did you ever post a video of you fixing the door lock? would be very useful ! ty

Old 11-08-2021, 08:09 AM

My near side passenger rear door lock broke. Had to take it to Volvo in Truro to sort out. Luckily, it has a third party warranty on it and I only had to pay £200 with the exploration work and part of the labour. The Paddle shift on the steering wheel was also fixed and sorted out as the up paddle had stopped working.

Seem's like these are a week point on the XC90, its a big old door on the car and I had a BMW X5 before this, had a few door handle go on that as well

Old 12-31-2021, 07:16 AM

This happened to my rear driver-side door earlier today, looks like the same cause with my daughter messing with the handle as it was unlocked. Not sure if this was a total fluke but I locked the car then pulled the front and rear door handles at exactly the same time and they both opened Only had the car a week but I think I’ll be extending the warranty, doesn’t give me much confidence unfortunately.

Old 01-16-2022, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lukes
This happened to my rear driver-side door earlier today, looks like the same cause with my daughter messing with the handle as it was unlocked. Not sure if this was a total fluke but I locked the car then pulled the front and rear door handles at exactly the same time and they both opened Only had the car a week but I think I’ll be extending the warranty, doesn’t give me much confidence unfortunately.
If it happened to mine a week after getting it, I'd be having a word with the seller.

Mine happened about the same time as yours though Lukes, and same cause as well! £572 to fix, but MotorEasy warranty picked up the bulk of it.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:45 AM
Unhappy xc90 door won't unlock

My n/s rear door has decided like many others it seems not to unlock. This happened a week ago. Has a video been posted yet on how to remedy. I do not want to pay Volvo any more after my on board charger failed after 25,000 miles and the warranty had expired. They sell us these cars as being reliable and worth the money and then get told sorry I know it hasn't done much mileage but it's not covered. I am appalled by Volvo and will never buy another one. I want to try and get this defective door fixed without them inspire of the fact I feel it is defective and a danger and really they should pay anyone who has this problem as from reading all the posts it is a defect.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ga Ko
I have the same issue (Rear Right) on a 2017 XC90 T6 R-Design.

Thanks to above posts, I got the door panel off and broke-off the top corner of the plastic covering (similar to above photo) to get to the latch mechanism.

I’m just stuck and can’t figure out how to get the electronic latch to release. I’ve tried everything but no luck

Has anyone figured out or has a photo/video they can post to highlight this last step?

once I figure it out, I’ll post the DIY steps with video/photos and link it here for everyone else’s benefit.

Thank you!!

This just happened to my 2016 xc90 I found that this latch was very stiff and when I pushed it back it then allowed it to open. I then sprayed a load of white grease on it and it’s seems to be fine now.

Old 02-09-2022, 09:12 AM

Thank you - going to have to get one of my sons to try this. Did the guy ever post a video???

Louise

Old 02-24-2022, 11:59 PM

We bought our XC90 new in 2016 and have experienced a multitude of problems. The latest problem is the passenger side door (behind driver) stays locked. Tried unlocking, child lock, locking and unlocking door but nothing will make this door work. This door is never used. That is the frustrating part. Anyone come up with any solutions on this Volvo issue? Since it is a security issue, shouldn't all models with this issue be recalled so Volvo can fix?

Old 03-01-2022, 02:37 AM

I cannot understand why Volvo won't repair free of charge or recall any vehicles this has happened to. It is a safety issue. I have been onto my Volvo garage who gave me an estimate of £450-500 to fix. I asked how much goodwill would Volvo offer. I spoke to customer service last week who started saying they couldn't offer good will until the vehicle is in the garage to assess the problem. I pointed out that it is a known fault and the car didn't need to go into the garage for the garage to say that the door won't open. They said they would check. That was last week. No news yet. Will keep you updated. I will never buy a Volvo again .... a replacement onboard charger after 24,000 miles - I did get a £1000 good will but I still had to pay a £1000.

Old 03-07-2022, 02:01 AM
Default R.Farnworth

Originally Posted by Lukes
I tried this fix & it worked for me too, so it’s not a fluke. Thanks for posting

Old 03-07-2022, 06:08 AM

Thanks very much. Will try and will let you know.

Louise

Quick Reply: 2016 XC90 Door Won't Unlock