Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 XC90 Door Won't Unlock

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 03:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monsteria
Exactly the same problem as everyone: both rear doors are locked inside and out.

Sleipner, thank you for your advice. I managed to take off the outer panel but stuck on the inner panel and have no idea what to do after it's taken out how to disengage the lock. To be honest, i don't have the confidence in taking down the window and taking off the lock, so some a bit more detail would really help.

Can some clever person provide a guide or a video to show how to fix it?
I'm based in London, so if someone know of a garage that can fix it for less than the £1k Volvo is asking me for, can you recommend them? It's getting to be very frustrating, for an expensive two-seater.
Can I ask what eventually happened? I’m just out of London and have the same problem... do you know what the fix was?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-06-2020, 08:34 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Same thing :(

Originally Posted by Steve Oversby-Powell
I’ve also had my 2016 XC90 for 10 months and the right hand side rear door will not open form the outside or inside. I really want to like this car it but its not easy when it’s had more things go wrong and more time being fixed by the dealer than any other car I’ve ever owned.

Assuming that only a tiny proportion of people that have a problem ever post on a forum about it, just how many people have experienced this problem? Should this not be a recall issue? Moderator?
Spoiler

The following users liked this post:
scoob1 (12-04-2022)
Old 12-06-2020, 02:30 PM
Default The same problem here :(

Originally Posted by Mishkop
Hi, the same problem here - XC90 2016 - may I know how did you solved the problem? Not able to open from outside nor inside, wondering if software upgrade might help, or if latches must be replaced... Thank you a lot!
hi there
xc90 - 2016 same problem , happened 3 days ago. It seems to be a big issue . Early this year I’ve had problems with EGR , costed me £900 and now the door. Did you manage to get your fix , how much did this cost. Thanks
robert

scoob1 (12-04-2022)
Old 12-18-2020, 08:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by ABxc90
I agree that even if it doesn’t warrant a recall, it should be fixed free of charge or with a significant Volvo contribution. I apparently got a 60% contribution which took the edge off the original quote. I now have an aftermarket warranty with Motoreasy which should cover this and anything else.
Sorry to hear you have had other problems with the car. Perhaps I have been lucky but mine has been otherwise problem-free and I still absolutely love it, 3+ years into ownership.
I have had nothing but issues with my 16plate XC90. Firstly all the vents decided to fall apart with little or no effort and now the rear passenger door won’t open?!?! I’ve got it booked in with the dealership tomorrow, they’ve said they look to do some sort of goodwill? Hopefully I’ll get a decent discount. Although it should be free as it is a massive safety issue.

scoob1 (12-04-2022)
Old 12-20-2020, 01:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This is an issue and I think it's caused by (a person) having a hand inside the door handle while the remote open button is pressed from a distance..
Both times it has happened to me on both sides of the car.
Kids get impatient as they run to the car before I got to it, I tried to open the door with the remote and the door lock fails on the side the child is holding.

The fix for me was a pain in the butt the first time as I had to learn how to take the door panel apart when it's closed.
The second time I did it in about an hour.

I wrote to Volvo complaining, as to replace the locks it was an expensive fix due to being unable to open the door and get to the Hex screws around the lock.
As my Extended warranty ran out the week before they told me to F@*K OFF !!!!!

This is the First and Last volvo I will buy... !!!

Have fun, it's not impossible, we should not have to deal with this BS.

Oh and don't listen to people mechanic that says you need to drill through the door liner to fix it.. I'm glad I didn't go down that road.

Thanks, Volvo

Happy to pull the car apart again and record it for a fee..... !!!

Again, if someone has a communication line to Volvo customer service they should send this thread to them.

Last edited by IrishRover; 12-20-2020 at 01:23 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by IrishRover:
Ant-moody (12-20-2020), Mary@3850 (02-25-2022), Robert.S (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 01:43 PM
Default Update

Originally Posted by IrishRover
This is an issue and I think it's caused by (a person) having a hand inside the door handle while the remote open button is pressed from a distance..
Both times it has happened to me on both sides of the car.
Kids get impatient as they run to the car before I got to it, I tried to open the door with the remote and the door lock fails on the side the child is holding.

The fix for me was a pain in the butt the first time as I had to learn how to take the door panel apart when it's closed.
The second time I did it in about an hour.

I wrote to Volvo complaining, as to replace the locks it was an expensive fix due to being unable to open the door and get to the Hex screws around the lock.
As my Extended warranty ran out the week before they told me to F@*K OFF !!!!!

This is the First and Last volvo I will buy... !!!

Have fun, it's not impossible, we should not have to deal with this BS.

Oh and don't listen to people mechanic that says you need to drill through the door liner to fix it.. I'm glad I didn't go down that road.

Thanks, Volvo

Happy to pull the car apart again and record it for a fee..... !!!

Again, if someone has a communication line to Volvo customer service they should send this thread to them.
Thanks for the info IrishRover , last Friday I went to main dealers and they quoted me £378 for new lock , all included. Not to bad I think, then again it should not happened.
My little princess was pulling the handle when the door got locked , so at least we know how is happening.
all the best .

Old 12-31-2020, 12:09 PM

Doves Volvo fixed it - price quoted was £514. In the end we paid around £250 (Volvo goodwill contribution covered the rest). I got the feeling this is a very common issue.

Robert.S (01-06-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 09:14 AM
Talking Rear door lock problem solved!

Originally Posted by monsteria
Exactly the same problem as everyone: both rear doors are locked inside and out.

Sleipner, thank you for your advice. I managed to take off the outer panel but stuck on the inner panel and have no idea what to do after it's taken out how to disengage the lock. To be honest, i don't have the confidence in taking down the window and taking off the lock, so some a bit more detail would really help.

Can some clever person provide a guide or a video to show how to fix it?
I'm based in London, so if someone know of a garage that can fix it for less than the £1k Volvo is asking me for, can you recommend them? It's getting to be very frustrating, for an expensive two-seater.
My 2016 xc90 T8 encountered this problem today, I tried to open it from both inside and outside, pushing and pulling really hard. I thought it was frozen ruber arround the door, just like it happened before, but it was not icy today, obviously something wrong with the door lock. I found this post and knowing it's a common problem, I was about to call the dealership to get a quote.
Luckily, I just gave another try! and I opened it! How? TBH I don't know the exact, just tried it randomly and a miracle happened!
The last few steps were: 1. lock the car 2. open the driver's door (I may have repeated the 1 and 2, just using keyless, had pressed the remote control earlier) 3. pulled the rear door and opened it like normal!
I don't know which step is effective, all I can say is not a big deal but like a miracle, thanks god I saved myself a fortune!

I'm new to this forum just a few minutes after solving the problem, hope my method helps!

Old 01-05-2021, 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=Robert.S;492675]
Spoiler

[/QUOTE
I am new here , from the Netherlands, last year jan 2020, I was in the Volvo garage having the lock replaced from the back door left because we couldn’t open it. XC 90 2016 model , as I write now, I am back in the garage getting the right side back door fixed because I can’t open it. Jan 2021. The cost are too much . Last time I paid 2400 euro, with other small things , reading cords, testing what.... etc. Now I don’t know what to except. I think this issue is big, some sort of system failure or some sort of mechanical design failure. It needs to be addressed by Volvo or raised with them. Thanks]

Last edited by waaz; 01-05-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:07 AM

[QUOTE=waaz;493628]
Originally Posted by Robert.S

mine is 2016 and same thing happened last week n/s rear door. Did you manage to get it fix yours . Thanks

Hi , mine is fixed now , Claytons in Masfield got in touch with Volvo Uk and ask them on my behalf to contribute to new lock . Volvo UK been great because they covered 70% of the total price £378 inc vat and fitting. So it’s costed me just over £100 . Happy days. Good luck mate and don’t get ripped off! .....

[/QUOTE
I am new here , from the Netherlands, last year jan 2020, I was in the Volvo garage having the lock replaced from the back door left because we couldn’t open it. XC 90 2016 model , as I write now, I am back in the garage getting the right side back door fixed because I can’t open it. Jan 2021. The cost are too much . Last time I paid 2400 euro, with other small things , reading cords, testing what.... etc. Now I don’t know what to except. I think this issue is big, some sort of system failure or some sort of mechanical design failure. It needs to be addressed by Volvo or raised with them. Thanks]

Hi , mine is fixed now , Claytons in Masfield got in touch with Volvo Uk and ask them on my behalf to contribute to new lock . Volvo UK been great because they covered 70% of the total price £378 inc vat and fitting. So it’s costed me just over £100 . Happy days. Good luck mate and don’t get ripped off! .....

Old 01-06-2021, 08:12 AM

My 2016 XC90 T8 is currently at a local dealership in Yorkshire, having the passenger-side rear door lock replaced after failure on Christmas Day. The driver-side passenger door lock failed 12 months ago in December 2019. Same issue as everyone else - the locks wouldn't release from either the inside or outside. This has got to considered a very significant safety issue. Cost wise, the first lock replacement cost £408 (+VAT) - so I'm guessing I'll have to pay about the same this time around. Its not a money issue - imagine how devastated you would be if you needed to get a child out of the car after an accident - and door refused to open!

Old 01-06-2021, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lobster
My 2016 XC90 T8 is currently at a local dealership in Yorkshire, having the passenger-side rear door lock replaced after failure on Christmas Day. The driver-side passenger door lock failed 12 months ago in December 2019. Same issue as everyone else - the locks wouldn't release from either the inside or outside. This has got to considered a very significant safety issue. Cost wise, the first lock replacement cost £408 (+VAT) - so I'm guessing I'll have to pay about the same this time around. Its not a money issue - imagine how devastated you would be if you needed to get a child out of the car after an accident - and door refused to open!
hi , did you ask Volvo UK for contribution like I’ve done and they offered 70% of the grand total

Davidstel (02-01-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=waaz;493628]
Originally Posted by Robert.S
Spoiler

[/QUOTE

I’m afraid that you been ripped off mate 🙁

Old 01-20-2021, 05:06 AM
Default XC90 rear door locked and cannot be driven

Previously had an issue with our 2015 XC90 rear door intermittently locking itself but when I took it to local Volvo dealer they were unable to replicate the issue. The fault has now developed into a permanent issue. I took the car to a local Volvo garage for MOT and service and to look at door issue. The car failed the MOT due to door being unopenable and so a safety issue. The garage looked at the issue and said they would repair it with a 50% goodwill discount from Volvo. They then called me back to say they are unable to source the part to complete the work and have no idea when one will become available. I now have a car sat outside my house that I can’t drive as it has failed it’s MOT and I have no idea when I will be able to use it again. It’s absolutely ridiculous that they can’t get parts for a 6 year old car. Maybe they have run out of the part because this door lock problem is such a big issue! For a company that prides it’s self on safety this massive safety issue surely should be a recall and repaired entirely at Volvo’s expense.

Mary@3850 (02-25-2022)
Old 02-01-2021, 12:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Drivers door won't open from outside or inside

As of Friday I can't open the drivers door on my 2016 XC90. The handle is floppy on the outside and operating the inside handle does nothing. It feels like the lock is no longer connected to the handle, ie. Something has broken inside the door.

As the car is dangerous to drive I have contacted Volvo UK to ask them what I should do. My local Volvo dealer is in the process of closing and the next nearest is 10+ miles away.

My friendly mechanic who looks after my other cars has said he's happy to take a look but has said as the door cannot be opened removing the door card to gain access to the door will he challenging to say the least.

It will be interesting to see what Volvo say about how this problem can be resolved. If it ends up costing me a load of money it's likely to be the last Volvo I buy.

Mary@3850 (02-25-2022)
Old 02-01-2021, 12:44 PM
Default I’ve had same problem

Originally Posted by Davidstel
As of Friday I can't open the drivers door on my 2016 XC90. The handle is floppy on the outside and operating the inside handle does nothing. It feels like the lock is no longer connected to the handle, ie. Something has broken inside the door.

As the car is dangerous to drive I have contacted Volvo UK to ask them what I should do. My local Volvo dealer is in the process of closing and the next nearest is 10+ miles away.

My friendly mechanic who looks after my other cars has said he's happy to take a look but has said as the door cannot be opened removing the door card to gain access to the door will he challenging to say the least.

It will be interesting to see what Volvo say about how this problem can be resolved. If it ends up costing me a load of money it's likely to be the last Volvo I buy.
Try to put some pressure on Volvo UK , I’ve had same problem but rear n/s door. In December last year Volvo garage in Mansfield quoted me £378 for new lock all included. Volvo UK contributed 70% to that price so in the end didn’t cost me a lot. The car been fine since .

Davidstel (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 01:34 PM

I had the same problem at the weekend. The rear offside door won’t open. After reading this thread I contacted Volvo uk today. I received this response today.

it’s clear that Volvo are aware there is a problem but are unwilling to rectify it unless they are made to do so. My car is 5yrs and 1 month old, so I don’t think I will have any joy 🙁

Davidstel (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wilf1982
I had the same problem at the weekend. The rear offside door won’t open. After reading this thread I contacted Volvo uk today. I received this response today.

it’s clear that Volvo are aware there is a problem but are unwilling to rectify it unless they are made to do so. My car is 5yrs and 1 month old, so I don’t think I will have any joy 🙁

Sorry to hear that 😞 , hopefully your mechanic won’t overcharge you. . I’ve read on this forum that one of the guys from London was quoted £1000 !! I find that ridiculous.

Davidstel (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Wilf1982

That's very interesting, I spoke to Volvo today and the rep said she was going to take advice and revert to me. I now have a bit of hope as my car is four years and 10 months old, always serviced at the Volvo main dealer. Many thanks for your reply.

Robert.S (02-01-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 11:45 AM
Default Update

That's very interesting, I spoke to Volvo today and the rep said she was going to take advice and revert to me. I now have a bit of hope as my car is four years and 10 months old, always serviced at the Volvo main dealer. Many thanks for your reply.
Volvo UK sent me this message earlier, Doves Croydon close in three weeks, no mention of liability etc but I have to hope they will take some responsibility for me being locked out of a car that is less than 5 years old and was nearly £50k when new.

Quick Reply: 2016 XC90 Door Won't Unlock