Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 XC90 T8 banging issue in rear?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 XC90 T8 banging issue in rear?

This is my first post and I was hoping it would be a better topic then help! My wife has a 2016 T8, love the truck, but lately I have been having a serious issue with a reduced power turtle light and loud bang coming from the back under certain conditions. So background: 58k miles regularly maintained, when the car has about 1/4 tank of fuel left and 1/4 or less charge intermittently there is a reduction in power, sometimes a loud bang sound coming from the rear of the truck (electric motor I assume) and the most frustrating part doesn't always throw a check engine light. I don't know if anyone has experienced this but trying to explain it to a Volvo tech without codes is challenging to say the least. Any help is much appreciated!

P.S. - wife just called and said it happened again on a full tank of fuel and charge and still no code?????

Old 09-13-2022, 08:18 AM
Default Banging from rear / Limp mode

did you get this sorted? I have had the same issue with my 2016 XC90 T8. I get loss of power at low speed and loud bangs at random intervals. Mine has done just over 70k miles and has developed this issue after a main dealer visit. They are telling me to change the air con compressor, which I think is absurd and it is very expensive. I’m keen to find someone with similar issue to help understand the problem. Unfortunately, I don’t feel my local dealer has the right experience to resolve this. Their chief mechanic hasn’t completed his Hybrid training so is replying on video calling for help and guidance!

Old 09-13-2022, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by mtalawson
did you get this sorted? I have had the same issue with my 2016 XC90 T8. I get loss of power at low speed and loud bangs at random intervals. Mine has done just over 70k miles and has developed this issue after a main dealer visit. They are telling me to change the air con compressor, which I think is absurd and it is very expensive. I’m keen to find someone with similar issue to help understand the problem. Unfortunately, I don’t feel my local dealer has the right experience to resolve this. Their chief mechanic hasn’t completed his Hybrid training so is replying on video calling for help and guidance!
Not yet, I have an appointment with a local dealer this coming Monday. I explained the issue and told them what I thought it was (the ERAD unit or the clutches in the ERAD unit) which is common, I will let you know once I hear back from them. I told them keep the car as long as it takes to replicate the concern and told them the banging is definitely coming from the rear.

I would also check the local Forums in the UK if there is anyone they trust to work on their cars. If their head mechanic has not experienced a hybrid before it's probably not the right shop, they are just going to keep throwing parts at it.....

Old 02-03-2023, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by mtalawson
So I finally got a code on my code reader before I took it to the dealership near me for a "P286D - Clutch A Engagement time performance/Too Slow" which was at least something that had to do with the clutches in the ERAD unit. My dealership was able to let me know the recharging side of the ERAD was fine is was the transmission side of the unit that was bad. It was covered under warranty (thank goodness!) but hopefully you or anyone else can't get it covered cause it's expensive. Runs great, no hesitation at stop lights, feels like a new car.