Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

600 miles from home: Check Engine Light and Cylinder Misfire codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 600 miles from home: Check Engine Light and Cylinder Misfire codes

Hello Everyone,

This is a 2006 Volvo XC90 V8 with about 144k miles.
The car is known to leak oil. I don't remember exactly where the oil leak is from, but I was told I could postpone for some time this as long as I keep the oil level in the proper range, which I did before our trip. Could be the head gasket - I don't have paperwork with me. I drove my family down to SC from PA 2 days ago, and we are supposed to be leaving in about 8 hours to go back home (620 miles, 9.5 hours away). A couple of hours ago I drove the car for about to run some local errands (10 mins each way). Here is everything I know:
  • Car is louder when it runs; cannot tell if sound comes from engine or exhaust.
  • Car is shaking / wobbling somewhat.
  • After starting up the car on our way back, I see Check Engine Lightcome on, it disappeared for a while, then came back on. This happened again later.
  • The message window said something about "either increase speed or downshift". I didn't capture this.
  • The triangle warning light in the center of the dashboard came on.
  • When I got back to our rental home, I stopped the car to put it in reverse, and the engine shut down.
  • I started the car back up again without problems, put the car in reverse and into the driveway.
  • I used my code reader and pulled the following codes:
    • P0304: Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
    • P0308: Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected
    • P0300: Random / Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

Being far from home, I don't have any mechanics I trust around here in Columbia, SC. All mechanics are closed on Sunday. I only found a couple of Pep Boys.

Questions:
  1. What are the chances that I could make it home safe tomorrow without having the car looked at?
  2. Could a place like a Pep Boys have the skills to fix this issue?

Thanks,
JPG