Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Transmission - Good Outcome

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Transmission - Good Outcome

2003 XC90 with only 36,000 miles and the transmission went out. Was told by dealer that there are broken parts of metal in the bottom of the engine casing and also shards of metal in the oil. Quoting $4995 for new (remanufactured)transmission but also says we need to replace the radiator and coolant systems as well for fear that the oil with metal shards could continue to circulate and ruin the new tranny. Quoting another $1,500. So $6,500 for a low mileage transmission? I'd like to hear from any others and if anyone has had luck getting help from Volvo to pay for part.

Amendment: After posting the above, I learned through my dealer that Volvo would pay for all parts. This brings my total outlay down to about $2,700. Still not great that the transmission went out, but I was glad to see the manufacturer stand behind their product. This will keep me a Volvo owner and supporter but I hope they resolve this issue which seems to have affected many other XC90s. Good customer service goes a long way!

Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 PM
JPN
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Bad Transmission - Good Outcome

Thanks for the helpful info that may help many other XC90 owners.

If it was the GM-built tranny, they were known to be defective and were failing at unusually low miles.

Dealers, once they figure out a customer does not know much about cars, try to rip everything off of him/her. I believe it is called the Scare Tactics in economics terminology.

Next time when a shop quotes you something you feel is questionable or outrageous, make them show you the trouble. Demand that they allow you in the shop (they may come up with something like "Due to safety, liability etc.. reasons"; sometimes it is true, though) and make them show you exactly what went wrong. If they hesitate or come up with some creative excuses, get a 2nd opinion/drive home if the vehicle can be driven.

>Good customer service goes a long way!
Agreed. One poor customer service is enough for me to never go back.

You have a Happy New Year.

JPN