Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bi Xenon Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bi Xenon Headlights

I'm sure I'm not the only onre having this issue, but for the life of me I can't find the answer with the "search".

In short: 2005 XC90 V8 all the bell and whistles 105,000 miles. Both headlights go out intermittently and seperately causing a "Bulb Failure" warning. Happens at least one or twice a month. Light comes back on in a few seconds and warning goes away.

Attempted Solutions:

Flipped bulbs from right to left and left to right. No Change.

Removed light assembly from both sides. Removed each wiring harness and all connections to all lamps. Cleaned and "di-lectric" grease all connections. No Change.

Called local dealer parts dept to see what headlight part they sold the most of (ballast, harness, etc.) Couldn't get a definative answer.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm out of ideas.

Thanks,

James

Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would trace where the headlights ground to the chassis (probably several wires terminating in an eye under a bolt) and clean that ground with a wire brush. also I think you misused the grease; it shouldn't be used directly on electrical connections; it is used on the insulators (for example, spark plug boots where they contact the insulator, not the part that connects to the tip of the plug).

Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the grease! I have always said, "I'm a lousy electrician, but a descent mechanic." Finding that ground could be tough, but I'll give it a shot the next time I've got a free afternoon. Anyone else have any input.

Thanks,

JML

Old 08-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Default Volvo XC90 BiXenon Headlamp glass

Hi, I own a 2007 XC90 Sport with Bi Xenon headlights and over the last couple of years the glass has become extremely scoured almost as though they have been rubbed with sandpaper! I asked at my local Volvo dealer about the likely cause and they said it could be as a result of simple car wash soap! Has anyone had this issue? Is it possible to replace the exterior glass without having to buy a whole new headlight assembly?

Old 08-17-2013, 11:35 AM

Kevin- I'm not an expert but my guess is that with European style lamp assemblies, either using a restore kit, or replacing the entire lamp is your only solution. Even with the different brands of restoration kits, I have heard that it doesn't last for ever. Also if I'm correct, as I remember stumbling upon or across some sites, the headlights are fairly expensive.....$500 each give or take. Another option to explore is a aviation cockpit glass cleaner, no, not the ones used for commercial airlines, check with your local small airport, they usually have a FBO that sell supplies.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Default Bi-Xenon Bulb Issue

Hi jml8dirt. I also have a 2005 XC90 V8 and am experiencing low beam Bi-Xenon issues. My manual says I need a dealer to replace these high voltage bulbs. I am just getting underway on the research and expense. Glad to hear this may be a ground fault issue. I'll check that too. But first I have to see if it is the bulb itself, how tough is the replacement and what the costs are. I'll continue combing the forums.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by Divincem
Kevin- I'm not an expert but my guess is that with European style lamp assemblies, either using a restore kit, or replacing the entire lamp is your only solution. Even with the different brands of restoration kits, I have heard that it doesn't last for ever. Also if I'm correct, as I remember stumbling upon or across some sites, the headlights are fairly expensive.....$500 each give or take. Another option to explore is a aviation cockpit glass cleaner, no, not the ones used for commercial airlines, check with your local small airport, they usually have a FBO that sell supplies.
Hi Divincem,
Thanks for your response and apologies for the very late reply. In the end I took my car to a local body shop repairer who were able to remove my headlights and polish them up, so that they now look like new! All in all the cost to me was around £95.00 which is a darn sight cheaper than new headlamps from Volvo, which would have set me back at least £1000.00 or more! Kevin

Last edited by Kevin Atkin; 04-29-2014 at 04:38 AM. Reason: addressed to wrong person
Old 05-01-2014, 12:10 PM

I'm having issues with my Xenons going out (permanently) on my 2003 XC90. I'm told that I need new assemblies ($3,500) and will be attempting to switch to halogen in a DIY project over the coming week ($243 for pair of halogen assemblies on Amazon). Anyone aware of what I can remove, will need aside from the halogen assemblies? I know it can be done (with permanent error messages), but not sure of what to look out for.

Any help appreciated! Thank you