Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Water Pump, Timing Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Broken Water Pump, Timing Problem

Hi Everyone, couple weeks ago I was driving in middle of the highway and with an unfamiliar sound the engine stopped, I pulled over and I saw coolant leaking I realized it's for water pump, I tow the car to auto repair and they said to me you need a new engine because the timing problem you have now bent exhaust valve I'm pretty sure they didn't check the valve but because they saw the timing belt is loose they said it to me (or they wanted to scam me), they asked me $1700 to change the engine, I'm student and I dont' have that much money also I have some mechanical experience, I'm wondering does anyone had the same issue? is it possible for me to change the water pump and diagnose the timing and try to ignite the car? even is it hard to change the exhaust valve? thank you
Volvo 2005 T5 2.5L engine AWD millage: 194K

Old 04-21-2018, 11:54 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If the timing belt breaks on a 2.5 T then you smash the valves into the pistons. If you are lucky, you can buy a used head and have it cleaned/new valve seals installed and go that route as long as you didn't damage the pistons.

Even going the route that I described above is probably a $750 project even if you do the job yourself.

It is very unusual for the water pump to fail like that.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:10 PM

Thanks Tony,
The timing belt is still alive, I'm wondering if just water pump caused the timing belt become loose is it possible to have safe exhaust valves?

Old 04-23-2018, 01:49 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If any part of the timing system breaks on a 2.5 T then you smash the valves into the pistons. If you are lucky, you can buy a used head and have it cleaned/new valve seals installed and go that route as long as you didn't damage the pistons.

Even going the route that I described above is probably a $750 project even if you do the job yourself.

It is very unusual for the water pump to fail like that.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Amir PoostPardaz
Hi Everyone, couple weeks ago I was driving in middle of the highway and with an unfamiliar sound the engine stopped, I pulled over and I saw coolant leaking I realized it's for water pump, I tow the car to auto repair and they said to me you need a new engine because the timing problem you have now bent exhaust valve I'm pretty sure they didn't check the valve but because they saw the timing belt is loose they said it to me (or they wanted to scam me), they asked me $1700 to change the engine, I'm student and I dont' have that much money also I have some mechanical experience, I'm wondering does anyone had the same issue? is it possible for me to change the water pump and diagnose the timing and try to ignite the car? even is it hard to change the exhaust valve? thank you
Volvo 2005 T5 2.5L engine AWD millage: 194K
This just happened to me in October. Cheap Chinese water pump was about 2.5 years old when it seized causing the timing belt to snap. ALL valves hit pistons and damaged 2 of the Pistons. Had to buy a used motor and put it in. You described exactly what happened to me. I was getting onto the freeway and heard a noise and the engine lost all power. Was able to pull over and the rest is history.