Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering FB Marketplace purchase, looking for purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering FB Marketplace purchase, looking for purchase advice

Hello there!

We're looking at a couple Volvos for my wife's primary driver and for road trips and found this one on the FB Marketplace.

This is just what we're looking for but the codes as well as non-functional AC worry us. We have been burned a couple times in the past by those "Oh yeah, that's the car's fatal flaw" and I wanted to ask before going to test drive. The description includes:

"Check engine light is on. Code P0088 and P0190. Traction control light has been on the entire time I’ve owned the car. AC does not blow cold."

My Googling shows fuel rail pressure related things and it looks like it can be anything from clogged fuel line, FPR or even the PCM. We also know that AC work can become a VERY expensive prospect.

Any advice, suggestions or insight on these issues would be most welcome! Should we consider this as our family's daily driver?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-15-2021, 10:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have maintenance records ? At this mileage transmission needs drain and fill. Cooling and brake fluid should be drained and flushed. No telling what air repair would cost. I think you can find a better Volvo or a Toyota suv. These Volvo's cost a lot to repair or maintain even at an independent garage. I know, I have three.

Old 02-15-2021, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fred in florida
Do you have maintenance records ? At this mileage transmission needs drain and fill. Cooling and brake fluid should be drained and flushed. No telling what air repair would cost. I think you can find a better Volvo or a Toyota suv. These Volvo's cost a lot to repair or maintain even at an independent garage. I know, I have three.
Thank you so much for the help! I never heard back from the seller so I imagine it's off the table. I'll continue my search for a better example, even perhaps a toyota, as that is likely less expensive to maintain.