Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

1998 s90

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 06:03 PM
bne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1998 s90

I'm considering one of these...But I cant find any info on them in this forum...only posts with people having some issues. Can anyone tell me if this model is of the 960 lineage? How good is this car? Inline 6 with rear wheel drive. If I were t buy one what known issues and what to watch out for...This is the one I'm looking at...any and all comments appreciated...including the price...TIA
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ctd/2080825337.html

Old 11-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes that is a newer 960. I have purchased 3 of them I liked the 1st one so much. I use mine as the daily driver. It is a very smooth riding car with a few minor common issuse.

1. Ignition doesn't return after a while. What that means is, after you start the car, the key doesn't come back to the II (run) postion all the way. So you usually have to turn it back a little for your windows, shifter, turn signals, etc. to work properly. It looks like they fixed that on this car, it was mentioned as a repaired item.

2. The power seats often do not go forward and back properly. The cable length are not perfect and after a while one side of the seat will move and the other will not. This has happened to all 3 of the cars that I owned. It can be fixed, no big deal.

3. The light bulb in the front corner marker light gets worn and short circuits the light system. Makes the lights work crazy when they are turned on. Replace the bulb and the wierd problems go away.

Other than those few things, I really like the car. Super nice ride, seems like a good price on that one.

Oh, almost forgot. By the look of the photo of the AC controls in the pictures, I would guess the AC is not working good. Check it out when you test drive the car. You should NOT have to turn the AC on MAX to get it to cool off quickly. Turn all the ***** the 9 o'clock position and turn off the red recycle button. Make sure the AC is on, blue light. Leave it like that for 5 minutes or so, then turn the temp down to 64 and make sure it cools the car down in less than 5 minutes. Then turn it up to 80 and make sure it warms the car up. AC repairs can be expensive.

Last edited by rspi; 11-28-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: added ac info.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:38 AM
bne

Thanks for your response rspi...Its just about winter here so i cant really check the AC. If I buy the car I'm taking it to my Volvo guy...but I did take a look at it on the lot yesterday and it did look pretty good. I am considering this car because my '97 850 T5 wagon has been going thru alot of expensive fixes in the past year...just debating wether its cheaper to keep fixing it or get another car that hopefully is less problematic. I did a KBB check of the dealer's retail price on this car and it is well under it...makes me wonder why its so cheap...KBB was $5125 so a complete carfax is in order as well.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Administrator

Well, a lot of used car dealers are dumping cars with a little profit vs a lot. Many people are afraid to purchase a foreign car that is 13 years old. So you can usually get a decent deal on them. I suspect the blue book will drop fast real soon. Also KBB is bad for true value. I always use NADA since that's what most insurance companies use. You can go to www.NADAGuides.com.

As for the AC, you can still check it. It runs all year round to keep windows from fogging up. Just look at it durning a sunny day it will be warm enough to know it's working.

I do believe the rwd cars are a lot less maintenance & repairs. Just my opinion & experience. But with you driving cars that are over 10 years old, someone there needs to learn how to turn a wrench or take your mechanic a pie every once in a while.

Last edited by rspi; 11-30-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-08-2010, 12:22 AM

I would agree to you on that, the reluctance among the people to buy an 10 years old car will help you get a better deal with the car. Also, with the winter all ready setting they will be looking forward to got their hands off it before things get more murkier.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:26 PM
Smile S-90 purchase (?)

My S-90 was purchased nine years ago from the dealer. It was a Volvo Certified car. It had 59K miles on it. I have not spent anything in the way of major repairs. I did have to replace the electric antenna,(nylon link broke),and repaired the driver's electric seat,(see thread on repair) and adjusted the pins on the AC blower wiring. This,after nine years of daily driving! The problems are anoying but few and not costly. I have spent alot more on other Detroit cars I have owned in the past. Still looks new and drives like it. Excellent automobile. When asked when I'm getting a new car, I simply answer, "Why should I?"

Old 12-21-2010, 02:10 AM
Administrator

I agree. I need to get mine back from my daughter. I swapped her cars a few weeks ago to tune up her S70 GLT. Now she is in no hurry to GIVE ME BACK MY 960. She has gotten attached to the heated seats, better stereo and fee campus parking (visitor style). I'll see her this weekend and get my car back. LOL