Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door opens while driving. TWICE

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door opens while driving. TWICE

Hi All,
Noob to the volvo forum here. Actually new to volvos altogether. Got a used (I mean "pre-owned") xc90 in May. Was loving it until 2 months ago.

Episode 1: 2 months ago
Driving about 45 on a local street and driver's side door suddenly opens. Not fully, but partially to the point where wind was coming in and the dashboard said "Driver's side door open". Pulled over and closed it. Weird, I thought. Door was fully closed when I started driving and the doors were locked.

Fast forward to today
Episode 2:
Driving about 55 and it happens again. This time, though, it's the passenger side door (front). Again, opens to the point of letting wind in, but still "latched."

I'm 40, and have never had this happen to any of my previous cars. Is this a known volvo issue?? Couldn't find anything on the internet.

It worries me that a supposedly "safe" vehicle has its door suddenly open. If this happens just driving straight, what happens if I take a corner hard, or worse, get in an accident? Will it fully open? Or what if a rear door opens where my kids are sitting?

Anyone have any experience with this, or understand the door latching mechanism enough to help? I find it odd that it's happened on two different doors.

Looking forward to any help!!
Thanks in advance

Old 11-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi MK, welcome to Volvo Forums.

I have never had any of my Volvo's doors come open. My suggestion would be to make sure you hear them close all the way and/or lube the latches and see if it ever happens again.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're probably not closing the doors all the way.

or car was in accident and the door alignment is off. but that is unlikely since it has been on both sides.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Default My 2011 volvo c70 door opens while driving as well

I have a 2011 c70 and the driver side door has opened a few times while driving but only when the top is down and only on the highway. Yes, the door is shut properly, and locked! I will just be driving along and then on my dashboard I notice the warning light. I am not leaning on the door, it just opens.
It's in for repair at the momment and the service guy just told me he had another customer with the very same problem. This is a serious design flaw. God forbid something happens to someone, they will have some serious legal issues.

On another note, this is my first Volvo and I have had many problems. I am shocked given the reputation of this company that they would put out a vehicle that has so many issues.

* the roof leaks when you go through a car wash
* in winter the doors do open or shut properly (they have winter in Sweeden......right?)
* rear stabalizer bushing went on it already
* one of the interior flaps for the convertible roof broke
* BLIS system goes ***** all the time (flashes rapidly and yes when it is dry)
* front logo badge came off after one year
* headlight windshield wiper fluid cover fell off

Sorry for ranting I was just expecting much more from this company!

Cheers,
Daniel

Old 06-15-2013, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by mkinsocal
Hi All,
Noob to the volvo forum here. Actually new to volvos altogether. Got a used (I mean "pre-owned") xc90 in May. Was loving it until 2 months ago.

Episode 1: 2 months ago
Driving about 45 on a local street and driver's side door suddenly opens. Not fully, but partially to the point where wind was coming in and the dashboard said "Driver's side door open". Pulled over and closed it. Weird, I thought. Door was fully closed when I started driving and the doors were locked.

Fast forward to today
Episode 2:
Driving about 55 and it happens again. This time, though, it's the passenger side door (front). Again, opens to the point of letting wind in, but still "latched."

I'm 40, and have never had this happen to any of my previous cars. Is this a known volvo issue?? Couldn't find anything on the internet.

It worries me that a supposedly "safe" vehicle has its door suddenly open. If this happens just driving straight, what happens if I take a corner hard, or worse, get in an accident? Will it fully open? Or what if a rear door opens where my kids are sitting?

Anyone have any experience with this, or understand the door latching mechanism enough to help? I find it odd that it's happened on two different doors.

Looking forward to any help!!
Thanks in advance
Did they ever tell you what the fix was for the door?

This just happened to me! I have a 2013 XC90, less than 10 months old. Both times it was within 3 mins of getting into my car, driving around 30mph. The first time was a month and a half ago, I heard a bump sound, the door came ajar, and the signal light and sound came on. It happened again yesterday, left my house, not 4 blocks from my house when it clicked and the door was ajar again.
Called the dealership, they have not heard of this issue before, waiting for them to call me back once they sort it out. Not happy at all. This is my second volvo, should have kept the xc60, that car didn't try to kill me.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:06 AM

This happened to my 2006 XC90 drivers door twice while driving and several times in the driveway. Took two trips to the dealer for them to duplicate the problem. Replacing the door latch assembly fixed it.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:54 PM

I am not sure if mine has been fixed or not. It only happened to me when the top was down and was driven for over 45 min on the highway. Haven't had that opportunity since it came back from the shop. I will let you know when I do.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:27 PM

So it took the dealership a week to get back to me saying I could bring it in for them to look at it. They were trying to find a solution before looking at it. Not pleased with that at all. Take my car, give me a loaner that's not a death trap, and figure it out. They did not want to take the whole door apart as that would void the car's warranty. Now, in my mind, this doesn't even make sense. Your warranty should guarantee my safety as I drive your vehicle and whatever fixes needs to be done, should not void it. (rant over)

In the end they replaced the door latched also, said that there is a double click/latch/something and my door was at times only closing with the first catch. It was very hard for them to hear, but the passenger side door did the double click and the driver's did not at times. Great. Said if I had any more problems to call them. Oh, I would be calling all right!