Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

C70 door unlocks and opens itself while driving.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C70 door unlocks and opens itself while driving.

Hi, has anyone with C70 (2013) ever have this problem? I was driving long distance this weekend, about 4 hours, my car doors unlocked and door was ajar while I was driving. It happened 4 times. I had to pull over and close and lock the doors again and again. It didn't do that when I drove home with the top up. It only did that when the top was down. I'm baffled and frustrated. Any idea?

Old 01-21-2016, 04:10 AM
Default I'm glad I'm not delusional. My passenger door does this

Every time I drive with my top down on my 2007 C70, I know at some point the passinger door will eventually come ajar. It also has happened once with the top up. I read earlier it maybe a latch issue. I've never seen a recall on it. I've only had this car for about a year and noticed it with the first time this summer. 1st couple times I thought I needed to be more careful, but when it happened multiple times during the same road trip m, then I cursed my car's little gremlin and came to grips with the stop light lean and slam until I have time and money to deadline my only mode of transportation that has no warranty. Even was beginning to wonder if I had gotten a totaled or flooded damaged car that got repaired under the radar of carfax. Actually kinda happy to see others are cursed by this issue. Think I'll complain to the ntsb as ford is facing investigation for this same thing. I do know the C70's and X90's share a lot of the same sensors and safety components, so it does make sense to see both of these models mentioned in this thread.

Originally Posted by mamabear96
Hi, has anyone with C70 (2013) ever have this problem? I was driving long distance this weekend, about 4 hours, my car doors unlocked and door was ajar while I was driving. It happened 4 times. I had to pull over and close and lock the doors again and again. It didn't do that when I drove home with the top up. It only did that when the top was down. I'm baffled and frustrated. Any idea?

Old 01-21-2016, 04:03 PM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Moved to C70 section

Old 08-05-2016, 02:17 PM

I have a 2011 C70, and I have exactly the same problem! The "door open" warning and interior lights come on and the door slumps slightly ajar (even the window drops like when you open the door). This happens only with the top down, driving at highway speeds. Can be either driver or passenger side. Locked or unlocked. Doors are securely closed beforehand. I have also mastered the stop, lean and slam. It is so annoying and scary!

I reported it to Volvo in June and they replied that there are no recalls currently available. Just reported it here:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Old 08-22-2016, 12:03 PM

My wife's 2008 C70 was doing this. I sprayed a bunch of silicone lubricant into the lock mechanism, moved things around a bit manually and it hasn't done this in a while.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:02 PM

Never had it happen on my 2009 but I hate the way the door sounds when I close it. Sounds like junk. Most cars you can hear a double latch sound but this is just one CLUNK. Hate it.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:12 AM

Hi. The same problem and for me, 2008 C70i.
5 times in last month, either fast driving, either not...
With open roof, all the times.
But as i remember, last years it happened to me many times...
Any serious answer from official Volvo?
Thank you

Old 07-10-2017, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by mamabear96
The same thing just happened to me 2x yesterday while drive on the highway with the roof down, frightened to death going 65 mph and your door goes ajar. Has anyone gotten Volvo to own up to the issue, clearly it's a problem - I am bringing my car in to the dealer tomorrow and I suspect to get the run around, anyone one with any confirmation that this is some sort of recall would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 07-12-2017, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It's not a recall. You likely need a latch

Old 07-12-2017, 08:57 AM

It's at the dealer right now and they are running diagnostics and trying to recreate the problem, but they also indicated the latch may need to be replaced... seems like it "should" be a recall to me if multiple people are having the issue and it relates to such a safety concern.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I've only had one customer with the problem and I was never able to recreate it. I replaced the latch and he hasn't mentioned it happening again.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:28 PM

Saw this on another site, it's apparently caused by lack of lubrication of the latch mechanism. The recommendation is as mentioned in an earlier post, lubricate with a silicon grease spray fairly regularly.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:53 PM

Mine used to do it. Get some wd40 spray grease (white) liberally spray into door locking mechanism and operate several times. Do this once a year and it won't bother you again.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I had this problem on 2008 model. Body tends to flex more with roof down and if you have not kept your latches lubricated they may not have completely closed and due to vibration have moved to the open position.
I lubricated with spray grease and worked the latches back and forth quite a few times with the doors open and have not had this problem since.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by c70inmd
I have a 2011 C70, and I have exactly the same problem! The "door open" warning and interior lights come on and the door slumps slightly ajar (even the window drops like when you open the door). This happens only with the top down, driving at highway speeds. Can be either driver or passenger side. Locked or unlocked. Doors are securely closed beforehand. I have also mastered the stop, lean and slam. It is so annoying and scary!

I reported it to Volvo in June and they replied that there are no recalls currently available. Just reported it here:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I have this issue on a 2013 C70 and I also reported it.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:03 PM

Got the same issue on my 2013 C70. Has happened several times, always at highway speeds, but not sure all were with the roof down. I'll try the WD40 sprayed into the latching mechanism and see if that stops it.
Had a 2009 C70 previously for 3 years and this never happened with it. Our driving hasn't changed between model years and we don't put a lot of miles on the car. Even now only 34,500 miles on it.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:28 PM

This happened to me (2011 C70) today several times while doing 70+ mph top up was up and the doors were locked, driver's side door. very upsetting at high speeds. I read this thread quickly and purchased some silicone spray. One my way home the next day it happen again several times. top up and the door was locked. How much is the latch replacement?

Last edited by ward.bruce; 05-12-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by ward.bruce
This happened to me (2011 C70) today several times while doing 70+ mph top up was up and the doors were locked, driver's side door. very upsetting at high speeds. I read this thread quickly and purchased some silicone spray. One my way home the next day it happen again several times. top up and the door was locked. How much is the latch replacement?
Don't know. Haven't replaced mine yet.

This is BS that Volvo hadn't owned up to this. Anyone know if the latch is under warranty? Should be as it's a safety issue.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:22 PM

I priced it on volvo parts, $239.00. I agree with you, I was doing 70-75 mph and the door just popped open. It is pretty unnerving and it can't be good for the door hinge. It was still locked because I had to unlock it to close it again.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:50 PM

$240.00 times two isn't an insignificant amount! And what's to say that'll forever fix the issue?

I've been driving for 49 years, had at about 20 vehicles over that time: cars, trucks, vans, wagons (not horse and buggy &#128521, SUVs... and several Mftr's: Ford, Chrysler, GM, Datsun (yup), Mazda, Nissan, Mercedes... and now Volvo and NEVER had this issue before the Volvo.

And throw in countless rented vehicles over the years from likely every Mftr and NEVER had this issue.

Call me lucky, rather call Volvo gutless to not own up to this issue. I love my C70, twice (2009 now 2013), this '13 is the only one I've ever had this issue with.

Quick Reply: C70 door unlocks and opens itself while driving.