Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving my first Volvo! (was Lexus)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving my first Volvo! (was Lexus)

Just purchased a few days ago a 2005 XC90 V8, as I needed a seven seat SUV for my growing family.

For those interested, the particulars of the car are 89k miles (with third party extended warranty to 100K) and virtually all options (rear entertainment system, Nav, park sensor, tow package, side folding mirrors, heated seats, xenons.). The car, dark blue with taupe interior, is in above average condition and the price I paid to a PP was $13,800.

To buy this Volvo, I sold my 04 Lexus RX330, which while a nice car, was really too ‘soft’ for me in almost every way.

I knew I wanted the V8 model of the XC90, and wow I am not disappointed! The acceleration and sheer power is amazing for this SUV, really enjoyable to drive. And the comfort level inside is great, as is the very easy third row seats for the littler kids.

Alas, the engine serial number is 2474, so there is potential for the dreaded counter balance shaft problem. However, the engine doesn’t look like it was ever washed, if that helps at all.

Problems I’m having so far are intermittent messages including Security Alarm Problem and Low Beam Bulb Failure. I’m also getting a shift hesitation, mostly in third or fourth gear, which I hope a software update and my driving the next month will fix.

My plan is to take it into my local dealer within the next few days and do a diagnostic, asking as well to perform any TNNs and software upgrades for transmission and anything else it needs. Any suggestions anyone about this before I go to the dealer?

I thought I’d list my pros and cons here and see what some of you think:

PROS
-Great styling, very refined yet assertive.
-Excellent interior fit and finish, very thought out deign and layout
-As I noted, the V8 power is wonderful, reminds of my old 98 BMW 740il
-Thought I would mind the two door tail gate, but actually find it more useful than the Lexus, its higher and things don’t fall out when opening the top door
-Safety, this is given with a Volvo, great peace of mind with the kids in the car
-Drive feel is more like BMW, which I prefer over the soft Lexus
-Love the popup Nav screen

CONS
-The display lighting is very dim in my Florida sun, especially when I am wearing sunglasses, first car I’ve ever had this problem. Which there was some hack to increase the display brightness.
-Same with the popup Nav screen, just not bright enough in direct sunlight. Have to hope the dealer has a firmware/software update to correct this.
-The reflection of the dash on the windshield is really distracting at times, taupe interior color the culprit?
-Couldn’t have they spring loaded the center console? This is awkwardly heavy with the rear DVD unit inside
-Do the side door pockets really need to be so shallow that they are almost unusable?

All in all, very happy with the car, it does seem to fit all my needs. Hopefully I’ll be able to let the forum know when I hit 150K.

Steve