Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drone noise Volvo XC90 Auto 2006

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 06:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drone noise Volvo XC90 Auto 2006

Hi Guys,

I am new here and would like some input if anyone has.

I made the error of sending my baby to an idiot workshop, and needless to say just everything has seemingly gone wrong. Have since taken my car to Volvo for a 110 point check, stuff was found now just awaiting the 15 working days for the spares to arrive from Sweden. After the check about 2 days later, when i pull off there is this this horrid "drone noise" coming from the front, but the 2nd you touch the brakes the noise is gone.

I took car back to Volvo and the Service manager went with me for a drive and advised it sounds like the angle gear. I had 2 different tyres at the back as apposed to the front and this was what be the cause of the problem...The next day went to fit new tyres all around, but sound still there, (only when i pull off).

The other idiots had fitted front brakes, and they been squeaking BADLY and i am wondering if maybe they are wrong and maybe causing the caliper not to release properly until i hit the brake? I really have no idea what the angle gear noise would sound like and not sure if it would be constant.

I am freaking out cause Volvo has advised me that if it is the angle gear then i am looking at R35,000.00 just for the part which excludes labor.

Sorry for the long post and hope it makes some sense to somebody, any info would be GREATLY appreciated.