Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get Second Opinion On Replacing Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Get Second Opinion On Replacing Transmission

My Transmission Service Required message and Check Engine light came on - 2005 XC90 T6 AWD w/ 114K miles. Codes were P0700 and P0717 which mean the transmission has issues and the there is not an input from the speed sensor.

I took vehicle to local Volvo dealer to see what it would cost for the sensor to be replaced.

The Volvo dealer told me that my Speed Indicator Sensor internal to the transmission was bad, that they did not sell that part, and a replacement transmission (labor, trans, radiator, trans cooler, trans cooler hoses, etc.) would be over $6800.

I asked around and found a reputable transmission shop that pulled the trans and replaced the sensor for $909.

First moral of the story - GET A SECOND, NON-VOLVO OPINION BEFORE YOU REPLACE YOUR TRANSMISSION.

Second moral of the story - IF YOU REALLY DO HAVE TO RELACE YOUR TRANSMISSION GET IT DONE BY A GOOD TRANSMISSION SHOP IN LIEU OF A VOLVO DEALER.

The removal and replacement of the transmission was about one third at the trans shop verses the Volvo dealer. I asked about a warranty if I did need a whole transmission - three years verses two years for twice the price of the transmission at the dealer.

Hope anyone with similar transmission diagnosis by a dealer sees this before they have work done that very possibly does not have to be done,

Dave

Old 05-28-2012, 09:17 AM

When that happen what symptoms did you notice when the sensor was bad?

Old 06-08-2012, 11:02 PM

Other than the Transmission Service Required message and Check Engine light we did not notice any symptoms. We were told that the trans would eventually fail since it would not know the internal speed and it would cause the internal parts to interfere with other internal parts. Not sure that is true and since there was nothing (trans or associated parts that had to replace) to save before a failure, we were going to drive it until it did fail. Since I was able to have it repaired for a much more reasonable amount that the dealer wanted to replace it, I when ahead so my wife could feel safer about driving it.