Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Groaning Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 03:13 PM
amt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Groaning Brakes

Hi all,

My wife drives a 2006 XC90 turbo. We bought the SUV brand new and it has ~10500 miles on it. We have been noticing a groaning noise coming from the front of the SUV when ever backing up or applying the brakes at slow speeds ~ 5-10 MPH. I have been able to trace it back tothe front brakes and the occurrence of this phenomena is not as intermittent as it used to be. I took the SUV in twice to dealer. First time they told me that they could notreplicate the noise.It could be caused by low power-steering fluid level, and they topped it off. The second time I took it in wasfor the car's 1st service and told them that sound was coming from the brakes and it was occurring more often. They checked the brakes out and said theyfound nothing wrong with them. Their explanationfor the sound was that it could be because of the over sized brakes and others have complained about the same noise.

A couple of weeks ago, I was pulling into a parking spaceand noticed that the brakes were not releasing. I had to pump the brake pedal to release the brake and the groaning noise was there till the brakes released. Finally, this morning my wife had a brake assist service required warning pop up...I believe this is the second time this indicator has lit upsince Feb.

Have any of you ran across this problem?We have not had any other problems with the vehicle. I havean appointment to take the car in on Monday and would like to be a bit more informed on what the forum has seen.

Alwin

Old 03-24-2007, 03:17 AM
Default RE: Groaning Brakes

I have a XC90 2006 V8 and have heard simliar groaning sounds when applying heavy pressure to the brakes and comming to a full stop althoughI have not experienced the brakes locking though. Currently 23K miles. Now that your warning light is on it should be obvious to the dealer someting is wrong. If less than12K miles and 12 months when you first alerted the dealer, this should be coveredunder warranty. Otherwise it is categorized as "adjustments" not covered under Volvo's warranty. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:43 PM
amt

Well, I got the car back from the dealer today. They diagnosed the issue with the brake assistindicator to a software upgrade and the brakes latching to a faulty brake pedal sensor. The software download and sensor was covered by the warranty, but the brakes are stilllatching when parking in reverse. I plan to give it a week or two and watch the car to see if there is any improvement. If it persists,I am going to take it to another dealership and see what they find out. Any advice to what else I can do?

Old 05-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd take it back to the dealer and tell them it is a safety issue - if they seem not to care, call volvo and tell them about the problem.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:35 PM

Take your vehicle back to the dealer and tellt hem to pull the rear rotors and inspect the e-brake shoes. I have had this same complaint on many xc90s. I have replaced many sets of shoes due to delamination. And most of these vehicles were 20,000 miles or less. Take it back and tell them to replace the rear rotors and e-brake shoes if needed. Also if any previous work is done on these vehicles usually by inexperienced techs inwhich they try to remove the rotors they break the backing plate hold downs. This may also cause this problem.