Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on Evaporator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 02:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on Evaporator replacement

Dear Volvo Lovers, Enthusiasts and Experts,

My XC90 08 3.2 is not cooling in driver side. After AC gas refill, it cools down and after about 8-10 months same problem occurs again.
I then top up AC gas again and after second and third refill it lasted for 6-4 months respectively then same problem exist. I've sent it to Volvo to diagnose the problem and they found out that my evaporator is leaking and quoted me around $1800. I've asked them to simply refill the gas and it lasted for nearly 2months.
I've looked for a cheaper garage and same quoted me nearly the price of Volvo and I decided do it myself to save cost. (pandemic crisis-NWNP)
Hence, I will be needing your help and support to replace my evaporator and will be relying in your experiences and knowledge.
I've been trying hard to find guides, procedures and precaution in replacing evaporator specific to XC90 but no success.
Can't afford to buy the VIDA as of the moment as the cost of parts and repair is a bit expensive and no budget during this time.
To start with, I've removed my steering wheel, DIM, center console cupholder and side panels, radio, satnav screen, glove box compartment and need to bring down the dashboard.
Need to carefully proceed with AC vent and the whole cooling system and engine firewall but need expert advise and help so I won't go wrong.
I know how big is the mess and I need no room for mistake so I'm counting on your help.
Is there any write up here about evaporator replacement where I can use as a guide or can someone share a list of the steps I need to take after the dashboard removal? Video or photo will help.
Any experiences you can share are highly appreciated.
TIA
Ron

Old 02-03-2021, 12:37 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Arjukai26
I've been trying hard to find guides, procedures and precaution in replacing evaporator specific to XC90 but no success.
Can't afford to buy the VIDA

VIDA 2014 d (will talk to up to 1015.5 cars if you have a DICE unit) is available as a free download. It will have instructions how to remove what you want to do. The stolen/hacked version is easily found on the internet and Swedespeed has a copy in their OBD section.

I suggest you download it, install it on a compatible computer and you will have all the detailed instructions you need. At least what Volvo gave their techs to work with.