Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - sudden white smoke after lengthy idle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - sudden white smoke after lengthy idle?

New member here! My wife's 2004 XC90 5-cylinder (not the T6) has developed a strange issue. About 3 weeks ago, she was sitting in a parking lot with the vehicle running for about 10 minutes. Then she went to leave, pulled out of the parking lot onto the highway, and blew white smoke everywhere for about 10 seconds....bad/burning smell as well. (note: I was driving in front of her and saw it, then had her pull over and it smelled awful). Since I have owned Land Rovers for years, I immediately assumed it was a head gasket issue and left it parked there at a local business and drove her home.

We were busy for the next week, so a week later, I had a tow truck some to pick it up to take it to the shop. I started it up - no issues at all, no smoke, etc. The shop ran a bunch of tests on the exhaust, coolant, etc and ran it several times and saw absolutely no issues. Got it back about a week ago, wife has been driving it every day with no problems. Then today, she's in a parking lot with the SUV running for about 10 minutes (feeding new baby) and then when she went to leave, same issue - blowing white smoke all over the place. I was not with her this time, but she said it did it badly when she first left and was going down the highway, then did it really bad again at the next stop light, then seems to lighten up on her 10-mile drive home. When she got home, I saw no issues. We've started it up and driven it again with no problems tonight. Other than the white smoke and burning smell, there are no other symptoms, no CE light, no overheating, no rough running, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Mileage is 148,000 - dealer serviced for a majority of it's life. Thanks in advance -

Old 10-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I will bet it needs a vent system service. I will bet something is clogged and when she sits at idle with it some oil is getting sucked into the induction system. Then when she drives away the oil is getting burned.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:01 PM

Thanks - I will check into that. It does indeed smell like burning oil. Sorry for the dumb question, but when you say "vent cleaning service" what are you specifically referring to?

Old 10-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The vent box and all hoses need to be replaced.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by blast20
Thanks - I will check into that. It does indeed smell like burning oil. Sorry for the dumb question, but when you say "vent cleaning service" what are you specifically referring to?
Just checking in if you managed to resolve the issue by changing vent box and hoses?

Old 04-13-2023, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by volvoxc90_fl
Just checking in if you managed to resolve the issue by changing vent box and hoses?
I have 2004 volvo xc90 2.9L I have the same issue white thick smoke on idle only no smoke when I drive . What is the vent system please I need hints on where to start diagnostic. 70k mils on clock no over heating.

Old 04-13-2023, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

the vent system is referring to the PCV system (positive crankcase ventilation). The PCV system has some hoses that run from ports in the block to take the gasses that slip by the rings (which will contain oil spray and unburnt HCs) and runs them into the intake where the HCs get burned to reduce emissions. There is an oil separator (sometimes called a flame trap) that blocks the oil from going into the intake). Over time sludge can build up and clog the PCV hoses and the oil separator can fail as well. Two quick tests for a failed PCV system 1) with the engine running at idle, pull the dipstick (which will vent the crankcase) - any smoke? 2) with the dipstick back in and the engine idling, pop off the oil fill cap, put a latex "surgeons" glove over it to seal the system. If the glove inflates it means the PCV system is clogged and the gasses are not venting into the intake.

The following users liked this post:
Taylorr (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 10:44 PM
Default 04 volvo xc90 2.9L white smoke on idle

Originally Posted by mt6127
the vent system is referring to the PCV system (positive crankcase ventilation). The PCV system has some hoses that run from ports in the block to take the gasses that slip by the rings (which will contain oil spray and unburnt HCs) and runs them into the intake where the HCs get burned to reduce emissions. There is an oil separator (sometimes called a flame trap) that blocks the oil from going into the intake). Over time sludge can build up and clog the PCV hoses and the oil separator can fail as well. Two quick tests for a failed PCV system 1) with the engine running at idle, pull the dipstick (which will vent the crankcase) - any smoke? 2) with the dipstick back in and the engine idling, pop off the oil fill cap, put a latex "surgeons" glove over it to seal the system. If the glove inflates it means the PCV system is clogged and the gasses are not venting into the intake.
I did the glove test the glove inflates I took a look by the area by the pcv underthe manifold it's look like it leaked some oil there . I will take the manifold out to reach to the pcv although I'm thinking to take the radiator fan to do it . I will update .thanks for your advice you saved me ton of money .

Old 04-15-2023, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

IPD and FCP Euro are two Volvo stores that sell kits including hoses, clamps, oil separator etc. You should also find several "how to" vids on YouTube as well. Good luck and post up how you make out.

The following users liked this post:
Taylorr (04-15-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
IPD and FCP Euro are two Volvo stores that sell kits including hoses, clamps, oil separator etc. You should also find several "how to" vids on YouTube as well. Good luck and post up how you make out.
I finally got the pcv out today it was clogged even the crankcase hile was clogged but i have a question about the part what's the difference between Part Number: 9497454

And Volvo (30622235)

I have 2004 volvo xc90 2.9l. My pcv has this number 30622235 but when I look at the s80 2.9 that has this number 9497454 the photo on the website show its the same with the xc90 2.9l i mean the part look exactly the same but different number If they are the same I really like to buy the s80 one for my xc90 because it's like $100 difference.

Last edited by Taylorr; 04-20-2023 at 10:34 PM.