Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation after idling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation after idling?

2004 XC 90 w/ little over 50K miles. Lately when idling (at a light, etc), the vehicle does not accelerate when you hit the gas - whether going straight or turning. I've noticed that this is also happening when driving on hills (small). Thinking it could be spark plugs, but I just had them replaced 2 months ago. Any ideas?

Old 05-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hesitation after idling?

does the engine "shakes"/vibrates when you accelerate?

Did you change/check air/fuel filter?

Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 PM

Engine does not shake, more like chokes/coughs to get going. Air filter is fine just recently changed it, having fuel filter checked. I actually took it in this morning - waiting to hear what the cause is.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:38 PM

We had similar things happen to our V8 with the 6-speed automatic over the last year (between 30 & 40K miles). After the dealer had made several software upgrade attempts, it turnedout to bean issue with theautomatic transmission control system - a defectivetransmission flow valve and gasket. It took them 2 days to obtain parts and repair. This was luckily covered underwarranty.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:21 PM

I noticed this problem at about 20,000 miles and the dealer ship said they did not recognize anything. So I kept driving with the hesitation and just recently at 79,000 miles I have have had my car in the shop 2 twice for this over the past 2 months. First time they did a computer update of the transmission, there were no error messages. The second time they did some kind of computer update of the engine. Just today I got a transmission error and the car would not go into gear. I even had my car at the Cottman Transmission and they said it was an engine problem. At this point I do not trust the dealership and I am contemplating trading the car. Can I take the car to another transmission place and have them look at the car to check that flow valve?

Old 05-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: luv2readnow

I noticed this problem at about 20,000 miles and the dealer ship said they did not recognize anything. So I kept driving with the hesitation and just recently at 79,000 miles I have have had my car in the shop 2 twice for this over the past 2 months. First time they did a computer update of the transmission, there were no error messages. The second time they did some kind of computer update of the engine. Just today I got a transmission error and the car would not go into gear. I even had my car at the Cottman Transmission and they said it was an engine problem. At this point I do not trust the dealership and I am contemplating trading the car. Can I take the car to another transmission place and have them look at the car to check that flow valve?

I understand your frustration, but you must really think about this fora second, I would ALWAYS take my car to the dealer, because when it comes down to it. they are always gonna be able to fix the car. Just remind them that you had this complaint previously, (and if you complained about it while under warranty) and have a history of the same complaint they should warranty it. if they refute then ask for help from volvo and let them know that these are common problems not just a one in a million. They will fix it

I dont care what ANYONE says and i will fight this to the end, i know there are some VERY VERY good mechanics that are independant. but the dealer has ALL of the resources that are expendable to them. I've even been on the phone with an engineer in sweden before, They WILL get the vehicle fixed.. as for other places, they can guess just as good as the dealer..

And as far as the valve in the valvebody you are talking about. There was a machining problem with those in the new 6spd trannys, there were metal shavings not getting cleaned out cause these shift problems, They probably replaced the whole valvebody. Atleast thats whati always do. Volvo deaers wont open up trannys and replaced components, we will replace either the complete Trans, or the valve body.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:06 PM

Do you have an estimate cost for transmission flow valve replacement?