Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.

Installing GPS and cameras on 06 XC90?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2022 | 10:22 PM
|
Default Installing GPS and cameras on 06 XC90?

Looking for advice. I have an 06 XC90 and want to install a backup camera and navigation but am not concerned about it being VOLVO brand because of cost.
does anyone have suggestions on a new radio/navigation with cameras that will work and fit in the XC90?
Looking at changing the radio to a single or dual Din but have no idea from there.
I would prefer to have a front and rear camera and is it possible to have the rear to be on at anytime as well as when putting in reverse?
Thinking it may help to eliminate blind spots coming up from the rear.
I have also seen some install one in the front speaker compartment. Are these VOLVO brand? Does it affect the sound system greatly by removing this speaker?
Thank you and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Whit30; 10-07-2022 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-11-2022 | 10:18 PM

I wish I have answers for you. I am looking for the same installation on my wife's car. Please let me know if you end up installing what you are looking for.

Old 10-12-2022 | 05:38 PM

I have a 2010 xc90 and am just about to embark on the same journey.

The biggest complication with changing head units(stereos) appears to be the MOST fibre optic system which integrates with the reversing sensors and the antenna.

There are a couple of aftermarket solutions which simplify the process.

There is a guy out of South Korea who has a product called legend which provides the harness, dash surround and head unit along with guidance on how to get it all working. You order the product via his Facebook group. You join the group and then send him a message. Starting cost is around the $600 usd mark from memory. Given that it is a plug and play one stop solution, the price is reasonable to me.

There is another company named teyes who has a similar solution. Their offering goes in place of the Center speaker in the dash and also comes with the harness to integrate easily into the car. Due to exchange rates in Australia, this option was a little more price competitive. It does retain the standard radio in addition to the new one, so may not be to all tastes.

There are also a couple of sellers on ebay who offer wiring harnesses which plug into the factory plugs including the MOST system. I grabbed one of these and a cheaper Android head unit as I was after a simpler system for my needs.

I am currently awaiting the various packages to arrive so don't have more to share currently.

Old 12-05-2022 | 12:54 PM

Make sure the guys doing the install know what they're doing. To swap the head unit, you gotta disconnect things but keep the old unit in the car and tuck it away behind the new unit because of the things mentioned in the post above mine. Then you reconnect all the important audio stuff to the new guy. I wish things would stay simple and manageable in cars