Volvo XC90 This mid-sized SUV offers the driver and passengers Volvo luxury and quality with sport utility capability.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Buy a Pre-Owned XC90...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Buy a Pre-Owned XC90...

Hi all, from a new member to this forum.

I'm currently not a Volvo owner, but it's time for a new car, and I'm seriously considering an XC90. I've driven an SUV for the last 10 years or so, and as of late the XC90s have really struck me as being one of the most visually appealing SUVs on the market today, so it's very much in the running for my next vehicle purchase.

With a budget of around $20K - $22K, I realize that if I decide to go the XC90 route, I'll need to settle for a pre-owned model (probably a 2004 or 2005), and likely one with with relatively high mileage. Obviously, those are the two big drawbacks, and I'm still weighing my options.

That said, I was wondering if anyone might be able to recommend a source for good information on buying older model XC90s. In particular, is there anything in the '04 and '05 models that I should really be aware of or avoid altogether?

Also, buying an '04 or '05 means that I'd likely be buying a vehicle with no manufacturer's warranty, which is a little scary. As such, I'm curious for opinions on whether buying an XC90 without a warranty is just a minor risk, or if it's a recipe for disaster. Having never owned a true foreign car, I realize that parts and repairs can be costly, so that is going to figure into my decision as well.

Anyway, happy to have joined the forum, and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:07 AM
Default RE: Looking to Buy a Pre-Owned XC90...

Hi and welcome to the forum. You'll find it full of great info (granted XC90 is newer so still developing) and some fun areas as well. Take some time to read through the posts here on the XC90 board, as well as the general general Volvo chat. It will give you a "feel" for the different options and configurations.

That said, the general consensus seems to be to stay away from anything but the V-8, due to various problems and maintenance issues. On the non-V-8 modelsother members report issueswith the XC90 rangingfrom severe issues such as transmission problems, costly maintenance items like timing belt replacement (at around 70K mile mark, make sure it's been done if possible),and dissatisfaction with things like gas mileage.

We (ahem... my wife) drives a 2005 XC90 V-8 and it's been, knock on wood, very reliable and problem free. The only issue we had was rear wheel bearings, which the dealer replaced under warranty. I drove it yesterday on a road trip (gotta go visit Mother!), and was pleased at how it still handles. It turned 62K miles as we got home. It handles as tight as it was when new, STILL on the original tires, and the information system registered an average 21.5 mpg, impressive for a vehicle its size.

I personally would not buy a vehicle like this from anyone but a Volvo dealership, or a private owner. Other members havewritten herein about used car dealers and poor treatment they received while trying to resolve a problem(s) shortly after purchase. Call me jaded, but I think the OEM dealer will work harder to retain your business, else go with a personal seller who can show you receipts and verify vehicle maintenance records, etc.

Extended warranties? They aren't for everyone. Some post on here extolling their virtues and benefits to have. Others, myself included (and having been in the extended warranty game) steer clear of them. Ultimately it should be an a personal decision. You should decidewhether you want to fork over as much as several thousand dollars now, in hopes that you will get coverage when you need it (read the fine print, there are many loopholes), or whether you are capable to save that same amount of money and hold it asmaintenance fund should you need a costly repair in the future. Also, do some research. Google "extended warranty" and similar and read a bit about them to help make up your mind. Consumers Reports here in the U.S. recommends not getting them, and I happen to agree. Others will just as strongly say that it is the best thing going for peace of mind and so on.

I think the V-8 option keeps yourpurchase decision to MY2005or newer. Make sure to look the tires over to look for signs of cupping or edge wear. Again there have been posts here about alignment issues, and look at front AND rear tires, as they may have been recently rotated.Duringtestdrives see if the vehiclepull either direction while driving, coasting, as well as braking.

Have the dealer give you afull maintenance inspection report on overall condition, including brakes and rotors.Ifthey're getting close see if you cannegotiate a brake job into the price of thevehicle.If you're still unsure, find a mechanic specializing on Euro products and take it to them for a once-over before making a final decision.

Good luck on your upcoming purchase! Just remember the Volvo is loaded with great technology features, including manysafety and performance functionalities, so it behooves you do to the extra homework before spending your hard earned money. But once you do all that and make your purchase, you're going to love the Volvo experience!

Old 05-29-2008, 04:00 PM

I love my V-8, AWD 2007 XC90. Gas mileage is between 18-24 mpg (which I think is awesome for a car w/ this much power). This is my 2nd Volvo and my only advice is to keep it until the warranty expires...then trade it in for another one! After the warranty expires (like it did on my last one), I've never been to the dealer and walked out with an invoice for less than $800. But when under warranty, nearly every problem (and there have been very few with this model) have been automatically covered with no hassle. I bought mine "used" from the dealer with 3,000 miles on it and saved nearly $12,000. That's my kind of "used"! Good luck!

Old 06-21-2008, 07:54 AM

Try www.ebay.com, That's where I found my 2004 XC90 T6- 3rd row seat with DVD. I had about 3 months Factory Warranty left on mine and paid $22K, with 43Kmils onit. A lot of Dealers advertise on eBay. (My car on the KBB is est. $23,500 thru $26,900)[/align]

[/align] Look for one within your budget or lower and that is still under Factory Warranty. If you have the Vin number, you can call Volvo to obtain the exact date when the FACTORY Warranty ENDS.[/align]

[/align] Call up the Dealership to askANY & ALL Questions, Order an independent inspectionto test drive and 150 point check for about $100 & depending where your located shipped to you for another $1000++$$. If your able to travel to the Dealership- that's Great! but (If you go the route to have shipped from out of state from the Dealership,remember that you will have to pay your State Taxes and Registration on the car). Make sure whenyou negotiate with the Dealer or that your winning your bid is LOW. Leave yourself a $2-$3++thousand dollarsif possible coushion from your budgetto coverthe extra expense. [/align]

[/align] I purchased an extended warranty towards the end of the 3 mths (this runs higher for AWD & Turbo $2K ++). [/align] [/align] Also try www.cars.com and http://www.autobytel.com [/align]

[/align] If you have not purchased already, let me know how you make out! [/align]

Old 06-22-2008, 02:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T-6 have transmission problems all the times.. just the matter of time till it goes again.. 05 electricalsystem have changedso electrical systemon 05 have problemsas long as it's in Warranty it's fine (Get VOLVO VIP extended warranty if possible even if it cost u an arm and a leg). 2.5T is the most reliable so far that I've seen... V8 early production have issues with engine...